Credit portal




National Insurance

how to trace a national insurance number

The appropriate national insurance contributions will be deducted from your salary and forwarded to H.M Revenue & Customs National Insurance Contributions Office together with your national insurance number. This number is normally located on your income tax form P45 which is provided by your former employer. If it is not and you have a separate record of it, please ensure that you quote it on your Staff Record form.

If you are new to the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number.

Applying for a National Insurance Number

National Insurance Number (NINO)

Your NINO is your own personal account number.  The number makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded on your account.  It also acts as a reference number for the whole social security system.

More details about your National Insurance Number can be found here

Who can apply for a ‘fast track’ NINO?

The following employees are able to apply for a ‘fast track’ NINO, you must be paid by UCL and in the UK

  • Research
  • Academic
  • Clinical Academic

All other employees including students must apply directly to Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643. who will either send you a postal application or arrange for an Evidence of Identity interview.  The Jobcentre Plus will tell you what documents are required to support your application or interview and confirm the date, time and location.

How can I apply for a ‘fast track’ NINO?

If you are employed as a Research, Academic or Clinical Academic employee you can apply for a ‘fast track’ NINO application form.  Please note that the forms are not available electronically .  Please either:

  • visit Human Resources Reception, 2nd Floor, Bidborough House
38-50 Bidborough St, London WC1H 9BT (open 9.15 am to 4.45 pm Monday to Friday) to complete a form
  • email to request a form
  • or contact Human Resources Reception on extension 41843 (020 3108 8829) if you have any queries.
  • Does the application form have an expiry date?

    Please note that ‘fast track’ NINO application forms are only valid for a specific number of weeks, the expiry date will be given on the checklist.  If you do not return the form by the expiry date you will need to request a new form.

    What information will I need to complete the ‘fast track’ NINO?

    • Personal details
    • Home address - must be in the UK
    • Date commenced living at address
    • Telephone numbers
    • Previous addresses in the UK and dates (if applicable)
    • Details of current and former marriage or civil partnership details and dates (if applicable)
    • Details of any social security numbers in your country of nationality and other countries
    • Details of partner’s NI number
    • Last home address in the country of your nationality
    • Father and mother's full name (only applicable for Spanish nationals)
    • Details of current and previous stays in the UK. Periods of less than 30 days should not be included (except the current stay).
    • Type of work you are undertaking
    • Finally, EEA nationals need to provide a copy of passport photopage/or both sides of your identity card.  Non EEA nationals need to provide a copy of passport photopage, current UK entry clearance visa and all other previous UK entry stamps/visas.  We can take copies for you.

    What is the process?

    The completed form should be returned to Human Resources Reception along with the required documentation.  Please note of the Reference Number of your application.  Human Resources will check the form and countersign to confirm that you are employed by UCL.  The form will be send to the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) for processing.

    How long will it take?

    The DWP usually processes NINO applications within 6 – 8 weeks.  Although they are dealt with on a case by case basis.

    I have received my NINO, what do I need to do?

    The DWP will send a letter confirming your NINO to the correspondence address given on your application.  You need to email your NINO to   or bring the letter to Human Resources Reception and we will update your record accordingly.

    I have not received my NINO yet, can HR chase the application on my behalf?

    Human Resources are unable to chase applications on your behalf, as the DWP will only discuss the application with the named individual.  You can contact the DWP on 0845 605 5049.

    For further information on National Insurance Numbers

    Men over 65 and women over 60 must provide a Certificate of Age Exception CA4140. Married women who have elected to pay a reduced rate of national insurance contributions must provide a Reduced Liability Certificate CA4139. Until they do so full contributions will be deducted.

    If you wish to contact H.M Revenue & Customs National Insurance Contributions Office the details are as follows:

    Category: Insurance

    Similar articles: