Credit portal




Insurance what is

insurance what is

The New Mexico MVD contracts with PASCO Inc. using their Validati® application to match auto insurance information from New Mexico insurance companies with vehicles registered with the MVD.

PASCO developed a New Mexico Insurance Identification Database (IIDB) at The IIDB website has information for New Mexico drivers about insurance notification letters and insurance verification.

In New Mexico, drivers are expected to operate their motor vehicles with a minimum of liability auto insurance. Minimum auto liability insurance amounts required in New Mexico are:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person,
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and
  • $10,000 for property damage in any one accident.

Once you have purchased auto insurance for at least the minimum amounts above, ask your insurance company to provide your insurance information to the New Mexico IIDB at: or to call (866) 891-0665.

If you receive a Notice of Noncompliance from the MVD, but you have the minimum required liability insurance, you should contact your insurance company immediately. Ask them to provide your insurance information to the IIDB.

If your insurance company does

not provide your insurance information to the IIDB within 30 days of the date on the Notice of Noncompliance you received, your vehicle(s) registration will be suspended by the MVD.

You can call the IIDB yourself and provide the necessary information. Drivers who provide fraudulent proof of insurance documents may be prosecuted according to the State of New Mexico's statutes.

Registration of your vehicle(s) may be denied or delayed if the New Mexico MVD Registration file does not show insurance coverage for the vehicle(s). Drivers that do not have minimum liability auto insurance may have their vehicle registration suspended.

Forms of Proof of Insurance to take to MVD when registering your vehicle:

  • A current auto insurance card.
  • A copy of your current auto insurance policy.
  • A letter from your auto insurance company (on company letterhead) that verifies your auto insurance coverage.

You must provide any one of the above forms of proof to the MVD before you can register your vehicle(s).

Affidavit of Non-use of Vehicle or Out-of-State Insurance (MVD-11268) | Download PDF

Financial Responsibility Request for Hearing (MVD-10792) | Download PDF

Mandatory Auto Insurance FAQs

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: