How Do I Order a Death Certificate?
Last updated January 8, 2015.
We’re sorry for your loss and want to help you through this difficult time by making it easy to order the death certificate.
Below we walk you through the three steps for ordering a death certificate:
Step One: Decide which type of death certificate you want to order, because Alberta has three:
1. Death Certificate Framing Size: 21.5 cm x 17.8 cm
Included on the framing size certificate:
- The name, sex, age and marital status of the deceased
- Date, time, and place of death
- Usual place of residence
- Registration number and date
2. Copy of Medical Certificate of Death: 21.5 cm x 28 cm
Included on the Copy of Medical Certificate of Death:
- The medical cause
- The name of the attending physician or medical examiner that completed the medical certificate of death
3. Copy of Registration of Death
- This is a certified photocopy of the original death registration, not the certificate itself
Step Three: Come in to order your death certificate, or mail us your completed Vital Statistics Request form (pdf; use Internet Explorer to view the form).
If you choose to come in remember to bring:
Once ordered, the death certificate should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’d like to have it sooner, you can pick it up in person – just ask us for details.
Call 1-866-989-6370 for product pricing at your local AMA centre. or email your questions to AMA Registries .Source: ama.ab.ca