Credit portal




What is a category D loss vehicle?

what is a cat d insurance

Question: I am considering buying a vehicle that was a category D loss. How does this affect the price of the vehicle and does the category D loss stay with for the life of the vehicle or is there any way it can be removed?

Answer: A category D loss in the United Kingdom is what is called repairable salvage. The vehicle is damaged to the extent that the retail cost of the repair does not exceed the retail pre-accident value (PAV).

The insurance company has decided that though the car is repairable, it is not economical to do so due to their policies or guidelines. It is comparable to a car in the United States being found a total loss and being assigned a salvage title. (See "What you need to know about salvage and rebuilt titles ")

A Category D vehicle can be bought at auction and repaired by those that are able. This is due to the fact that the automobile's damage was determined to be non-structural. Many times the car was written off by the insurance company due to it being stolen and recovered

after the claim had been paid to the owner/policyholder.

A vehicle that is under the Category D loss does not need a VIC inspection to return to the roadway, but a notification regarding the vehicle's status will remain on the its history check.

The extent to which to having a car classified as a Category D will affect the value mainly depends upon the type of damage that the car sustained, the age of the vehicle and the quality of work done to the vehicle to make it roadworthy once again.

From the information we could find, a rough estimate is that a Category D vehicle can loss 25 to 30 percent of its value due to the classification. The loss classification will also be listed on a vehicle check that you or anyone else does on the vehicle through HPI Limited, Auto Trader Vehicle Check or any of the other companies that offer vehicle history checks.

It does not appear that the loss classification can be taken off the vehicle, but you want to double-check this information with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: