Credit portal




What is a cfc certification

what is a cfc certification

CFC/EPA Certification

All licensed refrigeration contractors and technicians as who handle refrigerants as stated must be certified by an EPA-Approved Technician's Certification Program effective November 14, 1994.

If you are interested in taking the exam, you have 2 options:

(1) Take the exam at one of our Community College Testing Centers. See our list of CFC Testing Centers. Exams are scheduled through the community colleges. Contact a college to sign up for the exam.

(2) Take the exam at home (Type I Only). If you are interested in receiving your Type I CFC Certification, you can take our Type I Mail-In Exam .

The fee to order the exam is $25.00. The exam is open-book, and you can purchase a Self-Instruction Manual for an additional $10.00.

To find out which certification you need, read about the Types of Certification .

CFC Replacement Card

We can replace any card that has been lost or stolen, as long as it was originally issued by our office. The fee to replace a CFC

Card is $10.00. To replace a card, fill out and submit an application for a Replacement CFC Card. Once received by our office, you should receive your replacement card in 7-10 days.

Types of Certification

Type I Certification covers small appliances that are manufactured, charged, and hermetically sealed with less than five pounds of refrigerant. This includes refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners, package terminal heat pumps, dehumidifiers, under-the-counter ice makers, vending machines, and drinking water coolers.

Type II Certification covers high pressure appliances that use a refrigerant with a boiling point between -50 degrees C and 10 degrees C at atmospheric pressure. This includes refrigerants 12, 22, 114, 500, and 502.

Type III Certification covers low pressure appliances that use a refrigeration with a boiling point above 10 degrees C at atmospheric pressure. This includes refrigerants 11, 113, and 123.

Small cans of R-12 are covered by a separate automotive certification. For more information about how to receive an automotive certification or CFC certification in general, please call the EPA's hotline: 1-800-296-1996.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: