What is an eit certificate
EIT/LSIT Certification: Information and Application (Engineer-in-Training/Land Surveyor-in-Training)
IMPORTANT: READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AS THE PROCEDURES HAVE CHANGED
All applicants are required to submit fingerprints prior to certification/licensure. This applies to all new and refile applicants. Please click HERE for further information and instructions.
- Certification as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) is the first step required under California law towards becoming licensed as a Professional Engineer.
- Certification as a Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) is the first step required under California law towards becoming licensed as a Professional Land Surveyor.
- Each applicant must register for the Fundamentals examination on the NCEES website, pay the NCEES examination fee, and sit for the Fundamentals examination. Examinees who pass the examination then apply to the Board (and pay the application fee) to be issued a certificate as either an Engineer-in-Training or a Land Surveyor-in-Training, whichever is appropriate.
- Neither U.S. Citizenship nor California residency is required. However, you must provide your social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), or your application will NOT be processed. Disclosure of your social security number is mandatory.
U.S. Citizens, if you do not have a social security number you may contact your local United States Social Security Office at 1-800-722-1213 or http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/. Non-U.S. citizens without a social security number may request an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Department of Treasury (Internal Revenue Service) at (215) 516-4846 or http://www.irs.gov .For more information regarding the requirements to submit either a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number, please read the Information Collection, Access, and Disclosure Policy.
FAQ's Regarding Engineering Certification/Licensure Requirements .
2. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification applicants must have
Three years or more of postsecondary (college-level) engineering education.
Three years or more of engineering-related work experience.
A combination of postsecondary (college-level) engineering education and engineering-related work experience totaling three years.Previously passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
Two years of postsecondary (college-level) land surveying education.
Two years or more of land surveying-related work experience.
A combination of postsecondary (college-level) land surveying education and land surveying-related work experience totaling two years.Previously passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying exam.
3. HOW TO REGISTER AND APPLY
All applicants are required to register for the examination and pay their examination fee directly to NCEES. This new process applies to ALL applicants, including those who are re-filing or re-taking an examination.
- Step 1: Register with NCEES .
- Step 2: Pay NCEES for national exam-related expenses during registration process.
- Step 3: Those candidates who pass the FE or FS examination are required to submit the certification application form and $50.00 application fee to the California Board to obtain certification as an EIT or LSIT.
- Certification Application Form - Form must be typed or completed electronically. Handwritten forms are not accepted.
Questions and contact information: (916) 263-2232 or BPELSG.EIT.LSIT.GIT@dca.ca.gov
Updated July 27, 2015Source: www.bpelsg.ca.gov