Certification is the process by which the public purchaser demonstrates a standard of competency for the benefit of the public. Obtaining a designation reflects established standards and competencies for those engaged in governmental purchasing, and attests to the purchaser's ability to obtain maximum value for the taxpayer's dollar.
Universal Public Procurement Certification Council
The CPPB level applies to individuals who have demonstrated prescribed levels of professional competency as a buyer in public and governmental purchasing.
The CPPO level applies to individuals holding supervisory and/or managerial positions within a public agency. These individuals may or may not be performing the purchasing for the governmental entity, but do either supervise a staff of buyers, the purchasing department, the agency, etc. or manage a minimum of one essential function of
the procurement cycle (i.e. contracting).
For complete information on obtaining your CPPB or CPPO certification, visit the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council (UPPCC) website at www.uppcc.org .
Institute for Supply Management
The Institute for Supply Management (ISM) exists to educate, develop, and advance the purchasing and supply management profession.
- The Certified Purchasing
Manager (C.P.M.) program is specifically designed for experienced supply managers, with a focus on managerial and leadership skills, plus a variety of specialized functions.
- The Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) program will be relevant internationally and reflect the expanded education, skills and experience needed for supply managers to be successful as the profession evolves into the 21st Century.
- The Accredited Purchasing Practitioner (A.P.P) designation is specifically designed for entry-level supply management professionals, or those primarily engaged in the operational side of the supply function.
Virginia Institute of Procurement
The Virginia Institute of Procurement (VIP) operates under the auspices of the Department of General Services, Division of Purchases and Supply, and delivers procurement education to public procurement professionals. VIP's Virginia Contracting Officer Certification Program currently offers professional certification at two levels:
- Virginia Contracting Associate Officer (VCA)
- Virginia Contracting Officer (VCO)
- Virginia Contracting Master Officer (VCM) – Future Program
Participation in the program is voluntary and open to employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia and employees of other public bodies who meet the eligibility criteria of the certification level they pursue.Source: www.vagp.org