What is mbe certification
MBE CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
The Maryland Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) Office of Minority Business Enterprise (OMBE) is the State’s Official Certification Agency.
Firms with Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) certification may meet minority participation goals on state-funded contracts issued by the State of Maryland in addition to contracts funded by counties and cities within Maryland that accept MDOT’s certification for their minority participation programs.
NOTE: Firms may hold certification as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) in addition to MBE certification. DBE firms are eligible to meet minority participation goals on federally-funded contracts issued by the U. S. Department of Transportation. Applicants who submit the Uniform Certification Application are evaluated for eligibility in both the MBE and DBE programs simultaneously. The eligibility standards for both programs are very similar and OMBE strongly recommends applicants submit the Uniform Certification Application.
There is no cost to apply for certification as an MBE/DBE. It takes several months to complete the entire process once a complete application package has been received. Submitting an incomplete application package will delay the overall certification process. Please follow the Documentation Checklist appropriate to your business structure and don’t hesitate to contact OMBE with questions at any time.
OMBE conducts a free workshop every month to help applicants confidently
prepare the application and navigate the certification process.
Follow the link below for more information and to register.
To submit an application for MBE certification only.
- Print the Minority Business Enterprise Disclosure Affidavit (application).
- Read the PNW Overview
and the PNW Instructions .
- Review and print the appropriate Document Checklist .
- Complete all sections of the Minority Business Enterprise Disclosure Affidavit.
- Do not leave blanks on the application. Note “NA” in areas that are not applicable.
- For areas marked as “NA,” include a brief statement about why that information is not applicable.
- Sign and notarize the Disclosure Affidavit and Statement of Disadvantage for each minority owner.
- Compile the application and all supporting documents in a folder or binder with tabs correlated to the checklist.
- Firms with less than one year old are required to submit a written Business Plan.
- If for any reason you are not providing all required documentation, include a brief written statement under the correlating tab as to why the documents are not provided.
- Retain a copy the entire application package for your files.
Send the completed application and all supporting documentation to :
OMBE will conduct a preliminary review of an application packet to determine if it is complete prior to submission. The preliminary review is conducted at MDOT Headquarters (address above) on Tuesdays between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 11:30a.m. and 1:00p.m. – 3:30p.m. An appointment is required . Please contact OMBE @ 410.865.1269 for an appointment. Photo ID must be presented at the Security Desk. No appointments will be scheduled for the 1 st Tuesday of the month. The 1 st Tuesday of each month is the Application Assistance Workshop.
Return To Application Forms PageSource: www.mdot.maryland.gov