Temporary Car Insurance: What Are the Options?
Continue Reading Below
The major difference, as indicated in the name, is that temporary car insurance allows the driver to pay only on specific dates when driving, and the insurance is not automatically renewable.
How It Works
As stated above, temporary automobile insurance will provide the same amount of coverage as traditional car insurance polices to ensure that drivers are not left unprotected in the unlikely event of an accident. These policies can last anywhere from one day to a month. In most cases, temporary policies will cover liability and collision coverage. uninsured and underinsured motorists. and may include medical payments for passengers.
The prices for temporary car insurance vary based on multiple factors such as location and the make and model of your car. However, almost every temporary car insurance policy shares in common a higher price structure than regular insurance. Temporary car insurance may be a bit more costly than a traditional policy; however, you are only paying for what you need, so you save in the long run. It is important to note that temporary car insurance isn't yet available in every state.
Reasons for Getting Temporary Car Insurance
Continue Reading Below
It's not uncommon for people to have questions about temporary car insurance and when might be an appropriate time to buy. The answer is that consumers have many reasons to purchase temporary car insurance, all of which are usually quite specific. Short-term car insurance is useful in the following cases:
1. A driver is for any reason between policies, but still needs to be on the road
2. Insuring a rental car for a cross-country road trip
3. House guests needs to
drive a car for a short period of time
4. Temporary ownership of a vehicle
5. A vehicle needs protection in storage
6. A vehicle that will soon be sold
7. Relatives or visitors from another country who need to drive a car for a short period of time
8. College students who are home for breaks and need to drive a car for a short period of time
9. Immediate drive-away insurance if you've just bought a car
How to Get Temporary Car
The first step in acquiring temporary car insurance is contacting your current (or previous) insurance agent. Many insurance companies provide short-term insurance plans ; however, a handful still does not.
A better idea, before jumping right in, is to do a quick Internet search and utilize quote engines from several different companies. These websites often offer comparison shopping that will make your search smooth and speedy. Customers are typically asked to fill out a quick, easy to understand questionnaire that gives results within minutes. Most online insurance websites provide customers with a printable policy as soon as a transaction is completed -- this makes obtaining short-term automobile insurance fast when you need immediate coverage.
Criterion for Getting Temporary Car Insurance
In most cases, temporary car insurance is only available to drivers at least 21 years in age.
Additionally, policyholders must have:
1. A valid drivers license (valid for at least 12 months)
2. No more than six penalty points in the past 36 months
3. Display no reason for previous license revocation or disqualification
4. No more than one fault claim in the last 36 monthsSource: personalinsure.about.com