Credit portal




Medical/Dental Insurance for Faculty & Staff - Add a Child

when to add child to dental insurance

Insurance Eligibility

If you are a Western faculty or staff member who is enrolled in a medical and/or dental plan, your eligible dependents can be enrolled in the same plan you have for yourself. If you have previously waived your own health insurance coverage, you cannot enroll your dependents. You can enroll yourself at the next open enrollment. or with a qualifying change in family status. Qualifying changes in family status with respect to children are:

Birth of a child, adoption of a child, or placement of a child for adoption

Responsibility for an “extended dependent”

Extended dependents are defined by the Health Care Authority as children who are not yours, but for whom you are the legal guardian or have legal custody. Health insurance coverage for extended dependents requires Health Care Authority approval.

When you have previously waived health insurance

coverage and your child loses the non-state, continuous health insurance coverage

If your dependent child meets the enrollment criteria, PEBB-sponsored coverage will begin the first of the month after the other coverage is lost. Adding a dependent child due to loss of other group coverage requires Heath Care Authority approval.

Coverage for newborns and newly-adopted children can begin at the date of birth. It can also begin the date you assume legal responsibility for the child’s support in anticipation of adoption. There are important deadlines for adding dependents to your health insurance plan, so act quickly. You can add a dependent child to your health insurance plan as follows:

Within 60 days* of birth, adoption or assumption of the legal obligation to care for the child;

Within 60 days of loss of other coverage, by providing proof of lost coverage; or,

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: