Credit portal




Flood Insurance: Who Needs It?

who needs flood insurance


The effects of flooding do not end when the water recedes. Flood Insurance can help you get back on your feet.

Everyone living in a participating community of the National Flood Insurance Program ( NFIP ) can buy flood insurance. Harris County and the incorporated cities within the county are participants in the NFIP. Just because your home is not mapped within the 100-year floodplain does not mean that you are free from the potential to flood. FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) show areas subject to flooding from a primary flooding source, typically major rivers, bayous and their tributaries, and are meant to help determine the risk of flooding for a property. However, flooding from sources that are not identified on the FIRMs is possible and occurs often in Harris County. Many homes flood because excess storm water cannot drain into a storm drainage system fast enough to prevent localized ponding from reaching the inside of a home. On a national basis, one-third of the flood loss claims are from property located outside of the mapped 1% (100-year) floodplain. This

does not mean the FIRMs are wrong. It simply means that not all flooding sources are mapped and that more severe floods can occur than the ones mapped.

Know Your Risk of Flooding

It doesn't matter where you live. you could flood at ANY time!

The NFIP is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency ( FEMA ). FEMA produces the FIRMs, which are based on technical analyses, studies and historical flooding information. The FIRMs contain a variety of information, including flood risk information, special flood hazard areas, Base (or 100-year) Flood Elevations, areas subject to inundation by the 1% (100-year) and 0.2% (500-year) floods along primary channels, and common physical features like streams, highways, roads and railroads. FIRMs can usually be viewed at your local community map repository site - typically, your local planning or engineering office - or you can view FIRMs by contacting your homeowners insurance agent or mortgage company. For a nominal charge, FIRMs can be ordered from FEMA by calling 1-800-358-9616, or by logging on to their website .

Flood Insurance Must Be Purchased Separately

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: