Credit portal




How much do marriage certificates cost

how much do marriage certificates cost


Best Answer: In CA, you go to the local clerk-recorder's office. Note, that some counties have an Assessor-Clerk-Recorder or Registrar-Recorder

Information from Riverside County's Assessor-Clerk-Recorder's office:

The County Clerk's office issues marriage licenses Monday thru Friday (except holidays) from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Licenses are valid for 90 days and may be used in any county in the State of California.

To obtain a marriage license you must meet the following requirements:

The bride and groom MUST be 18 years of age or older.

If one or both parties are under 18, then a court order for the minor must be obtained before a license can be issued. This applies to emancipated minors as well. The minor must bring at least one parent to the Clerk's Office to sign a consent form after receiving the court order.

The bride and groom MUST come into the office TOGETHER to obtain the marriage license.

The bride and groom MUST have a valid, current picture I.D. The I.D. must be government issued. Some examples include: State issued Drivers License or I.D. card; Military I.D.; Green Card; Naturalization Certificate; Passport. If the applicant is age 18 to 21, a current school I.D. along with a certified copy of a birth certificate is acceptable. If a person DOES NOT have acceptable I.D. then all of the following is required:

A CERTIFIED copy of birth certificate.

At least 2 documents with their name on it that only they would have, such as: Utility bills; pay stub; medical card; insurance policy; school records.

A third party who has known the applicant for at least two years, who does have valid I.D. and is willing to sign an affidavit of identity under the penalty of perjury.

If either party has been divorced within 90 days of the issuance of the marriage license, a copy of the FINAL Decree IS REQUIRED. We will take a copy of the register of actions showing the written final decree of divorce has been entered. The divorce paperwork does not need to be certified. A copy of a Minute Order IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The fee for a public marriage license is $68.00.

Also, the application may be available online.



A marriage license can be issued from one of the following locations if requested 1 hour or more prior to closing, or during hours listed (by law it cannot be issued by mail):

Catalina Branch Court Avalon (310) 510-0026 (Call for appointment)

9355 Burton Way, 1st Floor Beverly Hills (310) 288-1261 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

* Office will be closed 2/12 and 3/30 due to court holidays.

1028 W. Avenue J2 Lancaster (661) 945-6446 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

11701 S. La Cienega Blvd, 6th Floor LAX Courthouse (310) 727-6142 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

4716 East Cesar Chavez Avenue Los Angeles (323)

260-2991 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

7807 S. Compton Avenue, Room 215 Los Angeles (323) 586-6192 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

12400 Imperial Highway Norwalk (562) 462-2137 Hrs: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. M-F

14340 West Sylvan Street Van Nuys (818) 374-7176 Hrs: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. M-F

The Norwalk Facility is open 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. on the 3rd Thursday of every month. Please be in the office no later than 6 p.m. for same day service.

Please return to Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk main page, click on Branch Office Locations for information about available services at the branch office nearest you. You must present your application to the cashier no later than the hour listed in the above chart to obtain the license on the same day. The processing time is 1 hour. For same day services we recommend that you be at the office by 3 p.m. Applications presented after 4 p.m. are placed on "will-call pick-up" on the next business day. The bride and groom must both appear to pick up the marriage license.

To obtain a marriage license, which is valid for 90 days, by law both bride and groom must appear to complete the application and pay the required fee, which is $70 for a regular license and $70 for a confidential license. Payments can be made in cash or by check or money order. If paying by check, valid identification i.e. driver's license of the signer is required and must be presented at time of request.

Both the bride and groom must be present and produce "Proof of Identity" and age documents, such as a driver's license, passport or alien resident card. Photo and age verification is mandatory. A birth certificate or baptismal record may be presented along with a picture form identification. All documents must be in English. Documents in any other language must be submitted with an English translation by a certified translator.

A blood test and health certificate are not required to obtain a marriage license.

There is no residence or citizenship status requirement.

Applicants must be unmarried. A previous marriage is valid until the final date of dissolution. Written proof of a divorce or the dissolution of a previous marriage is required, if the event occurred within the last two years or less. If the final dissolution was more than two years, written proof may not be required, but the date of the final dissolution must be provided at the same time the license is requested.

Applicants living together as husband and wife who meet the required conditions may request a confidential marriage license that must be used in Los Angeles County.

Proxy marriages are not legal.

The marriage license is usually processed in two hours after submitting the application. However, the waiting time may vary depending on the workload at the location where you are requesting your license. We recommend that you visit our offices on Monday through Thursday for faster service.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: