Credit portal




How to Apply for a Passport Without a Birth Certificate

how to apply for a birth certificate

(Photo: passport image by isatori from )

Related Articles

Items you will need

  • Form DS-11
  • Form DS-10
  • 2 identical photos
  • Valid identification
  • Documents from your youth Application fee

Step 1

Print and complete Forms DS-10 and DS-11. Both are available from the U.S. Department of State website (see Resources). You can complete them online before printing them out, or print out the blank forms and fill in the blanks manually. Form DS-10 must be completed by a person who was alive when you were born and who has a close relationship with you. Don't sign Form DS-11 until an acceptance agent indicates that it's time to do so.

Step 2

Find a passport acceptance facility in your area, and make an appointment to apply for a passport. Often your local facility is simply a post office or courthouse. You can access a list of the closest passport acceptance facilities from the Department of State website.

Step 3

Show proof of U.S. citizenship. If you don't have a birth certificate,

you can submit Form DS-10. It's also helpful to submit documents from your youth to show your approximate date of birth, such as baptism certificates, report cards or unofficial hospital documents.

Step 4

Show a valid form of ID. The State Department accepts a driver’s license as a proper form of identification to receive a passport. If you work for a local, state or federal government entity, you may show your government ID card. Likewise, if you're in the military, you can show your military ID.

Submit two identical photos of yourself. The photos must be 2 inches by 2 inches in size. They also must be taken against a white background. Your face must be completely visible. The length from the tip of your chin to the top of your head should be between 1 and 1 3/8 inches long. You may wear glasses as long as they're ones that you typically wear.

Wait approximately 4 to 6 weeks to receive the passport in the mail. If you need a passport more quickly, you can pay an additional fee to have the process expedited.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: