Credit portal




How to apply for a Social Insurance Number

how to apply for a social insurance number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is used to administer government benefits under the Income Tax Act, the Canada Pension Plan Act, and the Employment Insurance Act. The university has a legal obligation to request, examine and record the SIN for those individuals who are paid through Payroll.

Payroll will not pay employment income to individuals unless a valid SIN is on file.

I am new to Canada, how do I apply for a SIN?

First, you must have an offer of employment. This can be in the form of a letter or contract. Both you and your prospective employer must sign the employment contract (PDF). Your employer can print off this contract on University letterhead and then completed by you and your employer.

Next you must complete an application for a SIN. This application can be downloaded from the governments' Social Insurance Number page .

Individuals who need to apply for a SIN can do so at a Service Canada Office.  The office  nearest to the Waterloo campus is located at

25 Frederick Street, Suite 200

Kitchener, Ontario

At the time of application the individual will be given an “Acknowledgement of Application for SIN” receipt.  This document must be presented to the hiring department as proof of SIN

and a copy forwarded to Payroll.

Required Documents

Students:   For students who will be working on campus the following documents are needed to apply for a SIN:

  • Completed Application For Social Insurance Number  form
  • Passport
  • Study Permit
  • Letter of Confirmation of Employment.  The letter must be printed on university letterhead and must contain:
  • Employer's telephone number
  • Employer's signature
  • Civic address where the work will be performed
  • Employer's name
  • Name of the on-campus department or on-campus business hiring the student
  • Date of expiry of the study permit
  • Date the study permit was signed
  • Study permit document number (beginning with the letter "F")
  • Date of birth of the student
  • Gender of the student
  • Student’s surname and given name
  • Employee's start and end dates of employment must fall within the dates indicated in the fields “DATE SIGNED” and “VALID UNTIL” of the study permit.
  • Signature of student and date signed

Non-Residents, other than students who hold a valid study permit, require the following documentation when applying for a SIN:

Individuals applying to renew their SIN will require the same documentation as they provided when first applying.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: