Credit portal




How to become an independent insurance adjuster

how to become an independent insurance adjuster

Other People Are Reading


Choose a type of adjusting to specialize in; independent adjusters can specialize in one type of claim. Catastrophe adjusters work with catastrophic events like floods, hurricanes or tornadoes, and manage large numbers of claims. Liability adjusters work in the area of personal injury, such as accidents and negligent behavior, and can refine their training by focusing in a particular area of liability, such as workers' compensation, health care, automobiles or structures.

Obtain a formal education. Although not a requirement, earning a bachelor's degree can be an asset for an independent claims adjuster. Degrees in the adjuster's area of interest, such as architecture, engineering, law or health, can help the adjuster when investigating claims. For instance, a legal degree is helpful when investigating worker compensation claims. A degree in architecture or structural engineering aids the adjuster in the investigation of structural damage to buildings, parking garages or homes.

Obtain professional training. Training can occur on the job or through a classroom program. Working within a large insurance company before becoming an independent adjuster, or apprenticing alongside an experienced adjuster, can provide hands-on claims experience. Some adjusters may learn their trade through training programs offered by companies like AdjusterPro or Adjuster Training. The amount of training or experience required

is dictated by each state's licensing requirements.

Apply for a license. Licenses are managed by each state, and the process and fees for applying will vary. Contact your state's board of insurance or its professional licensing and regulations agency for more information. New Mexico requires a $30 fee, a $10,000 surety bond, a completed application and notarized proof of training; Texas requires a $50 fee, a $10,000 surety bond, a completed application and an exam, plus adjuster training courses.

Learn to use specialty software, as some types of claims may require the use of specific software programs to complete. For example, Xactimate is a program used to complete damage estimates to structures, while AppTrak software conducts auto appraisals. Most software companies offer training for their products. Some may conduct training through local community colleges or continuing education courses offered through universities.

Renew your license. License renewal typically occurs annually, and often requires proof of continuing education. Each state will outline what continuing education is acceptable, and may include participation as a lecturer or instructor within the industry, attendance at industry conferences and seminars or completion of courses taught through a university or community college. Renewal fees will vary from state to state, but should not exceed the original cost of the license.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: