Credit portal




Changing Birth and Death Certificates

how to change last name on birth certificate

The Vital Records law allows Arkansas Vital Records to amend certificates with appropriate documentation. For each action Vital Records must use a specific procedure which is mandated by that law. Therefore, each case must be reviewed by our staff to determine what documents or actions will be required to make the requested amendment.

Q: What changes require a court order?

Answer: There are some actions that require a court order before the certificate can be changed. Examples of some of these are:

  • The creation of a new birth certificate after a child has been adopted
  • Adding a natural father to a birth certificate if the mother was married to another man
  • Changing the father on a birth certificate
  • Changes of surname
  • Change of sex on the birth certificate
  • Surrogate motherhood

If a court order is required, normally an attorney is needed for this type of action.

Q: What is the purpose of the Putative Father Registry?

Answer: Arkansas Vital Records maintains the Putative Father Registry. The purpose of the registry is to allow an unmarried father of a born or unborn child to register his name so he will be notified before the child is placed for adoption. The father does not have to be listed on the birth certificate to register. Registration is free and registry searches are $5.00.

Category: Insurance

Similar articles: