Director of Microcredit/TVET Program
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Position Title: Director of Microcredit/TVET Program
Location: 50% Nairobi; 50% Hargeisa
Reports to: Country Director
Supervisory Capacity: Microcredit/TVET Program staff
Date: June 2015*
Position will be filled subject to funding*
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) is an entrepreneurial humanitarian and development organization that assists displaced people to move from vulnerability to resilience, from impoverishment to a basic level of well-being, and from exclusion to inclusion.
ARC has been responding to the needs of IDPs, returning refugees, host communities and private sector needs in Somalia through a range of activities including critical interventions in health, WASH, protection, Microcredit and TVET programs. Currently, ARC is operating in Benadir, Lower Juba, Puntland and Somaliland. ARC is working closely with national and local authorities, as well as with a number of international and national organizations to galvanize concerted and coordinated lifesaving humanitarian and recover assistance to the people in need.
ARC, in partnership with DFID, KAAH/KIMS, relevant Somali ministries, and existing TVET providers, is currently implementing a market driven work placement and microcredit program. The overarching goal is to increase job placements and self-employment opportunities for Somali youth through the provision of market driven skills training and providing financial services for start-up and existing small businesses as well as strengthening strategic linkages among business education providers, public and private sector actors. This program will add value to productive sectors and result in significant returns to youth, women, industry and the wider economy of Somalia.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Country Director the Director of Microcredit/TVET Program will take the lead in the implementation; technical guidance and direction of both the Microcredit and TVET programs in Somaliland, Somalia to ensure and guarantee set targets and milestones are comprehensively achieved.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the design, implementation and monitoring of a high quality microcredit/TVET program in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central Somalia to ensure and guarantee set targets and milestones are comprehensively achieved.
- Develop sound strategic plan for growth, program scale-up and execute a diversivied fundraising action plan to effectively response to the needs of the private sector in the country.
- Provide leadership for strategic and program development, ensuring program quality of all interventions meet established standards.
- Ensure effective management of agency and donor property and compliance
of donor financial regulations as per established policies & procedures.
- Develop and implement consolidated yearly operational plans and ensure program activities are completed on schedule and documented, meeting desired targets.
2. Partnership management and Development – 30%
- Identify within the impact area appropriate partners through whom ARC can impact positively on youth and women employment and economic growth.
- Ensure that all partnerships in the impact area are fully compliant to donor guidelines and requirements.
- Establish strong connections to institutional and non-institutional donors, relevant government entities at national and local levels, partner organizations and entities, and targeted communities.
3. Operations Management – 10%
- Ensure that standardized systems, in line with the Country Program policies, procedures and guidelines in the areas of logistics, finance and HR are in place, well understood and adhered to by project staff.
- Ensure that project staff have operational and capacity development support within their operating environment.
- Ensure the strict adherence of project staff to the basic humanitarian principles at all times: neutrality, impartiality and independence while delivering program for beneficiaries.
- Master’s Degree in the field of economics, business development/management, technical vocational education, social sciences, management or related fields.
- 4-5 years of experience in development and management of programs in conflict affected countries. Experience of Somalia desirable.
- Experience in micro-credit programming necessary
- Experience in strategic leadership, development, implementation, monitoring and reporting, direct management and supervisory experience.
- Proven strategic planner and team leader with sound technical knowledge, conceptual and analytical ability, good judgment, and adaptive, flexible capacity.
- Proven ability to develop and lead a high performing team
- Excellent people manager, mentor and coach
- Excellent written communications skills in English including proposal/report-writing
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of working collaboratively with local and national governments, private sector, NGO partners, beneficiary and donor communities.
- Outstanding interpersonal and inter-organizational skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of ARC’s vision, mission, values and principles.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with a team in an intense environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
Category: Payday loans