Credit portal




How can I get Financial Aid in my bizzare circumstance?

how can i get financial aid

Question: I live with my mother, who works two jobs. But she has a lot of bills that hardly leave anything left. Because of the amount that she makes, I'm left unable to claim financial aid. I don't fit any of the requirements to be considered independent. Is their anything I can do?


There are tons of scholarships that go unclaimed each year. Many $400, $500 or $1000 scholarships never even get applied for because people think it's chump change and not worth applying for. Well, get a few of those $500 scholarships and it'll really make a dent in your tuition bill.

Do a search on scholarships, search your major, your ethnic heritage, your town, your parents employers, your employer, hobbies, high school, local chamber of commerce/rotary/ lion's club etc. Left-handed? There is a scholarship out there for you! Older woman returning to school? There are scholarships out there for you. Do combined searches on more than one criteria "hispanic women aviation scholarships" etc.

Go to the library and ask the reference librarian for a reference book on scholarships. They usually have more than one. There are all kinds of scholarships out there, you just have to start applying yourself and make it your summer career to send out letters everyday for scholarships. Good luck! Nope, get a part time job, and lots of loans and go get you a education. Well, you could try to fit the requirements for being independent. But only if you can handle it, and if your mom is okay with it.

Second, there's a really good website, called, that can help you find all kinds of scholarships that are available. Maybe if you can't qualify for financial aid on a financial basis, you can earn scholarships by writing essays, being good at sports, being of a certain religion and/or denomination, etc. There are SO MANY different options out there. do some online searches for other websites too. Just don't fall for any of the scams out there that make you pay for the information.

and holding down a job of your own and saving up is a good idea too. You may need to attend a state school of the state where you live, b/c it's cheaper--and it's always cheaper to attend a college in your own state, b/c then you get state aid if possible.

Try not to take out any more loans than necessary. It takes forever to pay them off--trust me, I'm trying to do it right now.

Good luck! Apart from the sheer selfishness of the situation, which is really breathtaking, the situation is not uncommon. Student loans will cost more, and may not be available as much as they were. If you have good grades and activities, you might qualify for local or regional scholarships, or the school might offer a scholarship. If your decision to pursue an education just came recently, so your previous grades and academic performance are lackluster at best, You may need to take time off and work for a while to be able to move out and be considered emancipated.

Local state colleges, especially 2-year colleges, might be more affordable and offer financial assistance. no im sorry but theres not :( i have that same exact problem. Try when u are 25, some stupid azz reason u have to be 25 before they consider u independent. Apply for loans or scholarships. Good luck First, the reasoning behind it all:

Your circumstance is far from bizarre. Based on what I've seen of late, it seems to have become the "norm". Basically, the calculation that determined your EFC (the amount the government believes your family can afford to pay) doesn't not take a family's *lifestyle* into consideration. When it looks at your mom's take-home pay, it sets aside an income "allowance" for necessities like a modest home, food, and clothing. When compared to your bills,

your high EFC is the government's way of letting you know that you've been living beyond your means and that, perhaps, your family's spending priorities have been a little "out-of-whack." That may sounds harsh, but it's the reality of the FSA system.

Your true Financial Aid eligibility:

Every FAFSA applicant is eligible for *some* form of Financial Aid. That aid may not be in the form of GRANTS, but it *is* Financial Aid. (A lot of people argue that student loans aren't "financial aid," but they are -- where else can an 18-year-old you get a low-interest loan that requires no credit-check?) Even if you show no financial need, you can still obtain an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The amount you are offered as a Freshman may seem small, but your eligibility will increase as your education progresses.

A word about dependency/independency:

As you know, if you can file as "independent" on the FAFSA, your parents' income will be excluded from the EFC calculation. As such, lots of people will tell dependent students who appeal to their school to be considered independent for Federal Student Aid purposes (this is known as a Dependency Override). While you CAN appeal, truthfully, these Dependency Overrides are not common. In order to obtain one, you must prove to your school that you are completely self-sufficient. Your school can (and probably will) require proof that, for the past year or 2,

(a) no one claims you on their tax return, and

(b) you pay for your own housing, food, clothing, insurance [bsically, everything] and accept no monetary or in-kind support from anyone.

A parent's unwillingness or inability to pay for a student's education is not grounds for a dependency appeal.

Your options:

If you haven't settled on a school, consider applying to or attending one that doesn't focus all of its Financial Aid on need-based pursuits. There are plenty of schools that offer Financial Aid based on a student's merit. In many cases, if the school wants the student badly enough, a no-need student can obtain a lot of scholarship funding to attend there. If you are set on a school, consider appealing to that school for institutional funding -- you may be able to obtain additional money from them if you explain your situation clearly and honestly.


ANY student, whether they are in your situation or not, should apply for as many scholarships as possible. It is not accurate that here are "tons" of scholarhships that go unclaimea yearly ( ). Scholarships of all types and sizes receive hundreds of applicants. However, that is no excuse not to apply.

In your case, you will want to seek out some non-need-based scholarships -- perhaps something based on your academic performance or your extracurricular career. Register with any or all of the following sites and see what pops up:

Additionally, check out your local High School's guidance office, your local library, churches, clubs, and associations for scholarship listings. You can talk to your financial aid couselor at the school sometimes if a parent claims for instance bankruptcy they will consider this a special circumstance. If she has an unusual fiancial situation the school may take this into consideration. If you live with your mother you do not qualify for a dependency override. If you are female you may want to try majoring in engineering or something because there is more funding there. You can always take out loans and work your butt off to get high grades and get merit scholarships after your first year. You may want to try a community college since that is cheaper. Good luck

Content post by the user, not guarantee correctness, if contains the copyright content please contact us. we will immediately remove.

Copyright 2006-2012 All Rights Reserved.

Category: Personal Finance

Similar articles: