Credit portal




How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?

how do i apply for financial aid

Applying for Financial Aid is a three-step process.

The Financial Aid Office recommends that students apply for financial aid online at .

The first step is to apply for a FSA ID for the student and the parent. To begin this process, visit The FSA ID is used to sign the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Am I a dependent or independent student?

If the student is able to answer “Yes” to any of the questions listed below– then the student can file as an Independent Student on the FAFSA. The student will need to report their own information and if married the spouse’s information as well.

• Were you born before January 1, 1992?

• Are you married? (Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)

• At the beginning of the 2015–16 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an M.A. M.B.A. M.D. J.D. Ph.D. Ed.D. graduate certificate, etc.)?

• Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training? (If you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee, are you on active duty for other than state or training purposes?)

• Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?*

• Do you now have—or will you have—children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2015, and June 30, 2016?

• Do you have any dependents (other than your children or spouse ) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2016?

• At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care. or were you a dependent or ward of the court?

• Has it been determined by a court in your state of legal residence

that you are an emancipated minor or that you are in a legal guardianship ?

• At any time on or after July 1, 2014, were you determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless, as determined by (a) your high school or district homeless liaison, (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or (c) the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program?**

If the student cannot answer “Yes to any of the questions above, then the student is considered dependent and must provide parental information on the FAFSA.

2. The FAFSA must be filed online at using Middlesex County College’s school code: 002615. The Federal Processor at the Department of Education will determine financial need by reviewing the income data submitted on your FAFSA.

3. Student’s should routinely check their Campus Cruiser/ Webadvisor ‘Financial Aid Missing Documents’ to determine if additional documents are needed at the MCC Financial Aid office. Students may be required to submit a copy of the 2014 federal tax transcript for both the parent and student and a 2015-2016 Verification Worksheet. The Financial Aid office will not process the financial aid award until all required documents have been completed, submitted and reviewed.

Communication with Students:

The Financial Aid Office will contact students through their Campus Cruiser email address. Please continue to read and clear out email messages. Continue to check Campus Cruiser for messages regarding Financial Aid, Disbursement or pending actions needed.

Authorization to Use Financial Aid for Bookstore Credit:

• Students must access Campus Cruiser to accept Bookstore Authorization for financial aid (minus tuition & fees) to be available for bookstore credit.

• This authorization must be accepted every term to ensure the student’s ability to utilize credit at the Blue Colt Bookstore.

Category: Personal Finance

Similar articles: