Credit portal




How do I cash torn Savings Bonds with pieces missing?

how do i cash in savings bonds
Friday, July 28th, 2006

I have two series E Savings Bonds which are torn in half. On one the two pieces are taped together and on the other there’s a missing piece that includes the issue date, which I don’t know. I would like to cash them in. What do I need to do?

Tom’s Response

You can redeem the bonds by sending them in with a copy of Public Debt Form 1048, Claim for

Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed US Savings Bonds .

Fill out the form as instructed. Include what’s left of the bonds in the envelope when you mail in the form. Check the Payment box of your choice (by check or by direct deposit). You will have to have your signature certified on the form by a bank.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  

(Average rating: 3.67 stars)

Category: Personal Finance

Similar articles: