Credit portal




Can you claim back tax for the first 6 months of work?

how can i claim my tax back

hi wonder if anyone can help with this. I'v been told a few times of numerous people that you can claim back the tax you pay for the first 6 months that you are in employment.Does anyone know, firstly, if this is infact the case, and secondly how i would go about doing this? Just i plan to move out soon and. show more hi wonder if anyone can help with this.


Report Abuse

If you've just stopped working, you may be able to claim back some of the Income Tax you've paid. This could be because you've retired, returned to studying or because you've become unemployed.

tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April. If you stop working part way through a tax year, you might have paid too much tax for that year.

This can happen if you were paying tax through PAYE (Pay As You Earn) as an employee and:

you were only employed for part of the tax year - and didn't get any taxable state benefits for the rest of

the tax year after you stopped working

you retired part way through the tax year

your employer was using the wrong tax code

you're a student and only worked in the holidays but didn't complete a form P38(S) Student Employees

you were made redundant and couldn't get another job

If you think you've paid too much tax, you'll need to claim a tax repayment from the Revenue if any of the following applies:

you've been unemployed for at least four weeks

you stopped working because you've retired and you're not getting a pension from your old employer

you've returned to studying

You can claim a tax repayment by filling in form P50 Claiming tax back when you have stopped working. Send this to your Tax Office, together with form P45, Parts 2 and 3 - and keep Part 1A for your own records.

The Revenue will send you any tax refund you're entitled to by post. They will also send you a new form P45, Parts 1A, 2 and 3, if necessary.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: