Credit portal




Can’t Find Documents to Prepare Past Income Taxes? You Can Still File

how can i find my 2007 tax return

Find out how to file your taxes if you’re missing important tax documents such as W-2s or 1099s.

“Something suddenly came up.” Those were the immortal words with which Marcia Brady famously broke off a date. But they could just as easily describe why lots of taxpayers fail to file a return every year – April sneaks up on you and then, well, something suddenly comes up.

And if you’re a procrastinator, and have put off filing your late taxes for a while, it’s not hard to misplace the important tax documents that you need to file. Once that happens, even if you want to file, how can you possibly get right with the IRS?

Never fear. There are many ways to retrieve copies of the necessary tax documents.

Anyone who worked as an employee somewhere will need a copy of their W-2 [Wage and Tax Statement] in order to file. Thankfully employers are required to keep a copy for at least four years. So if you’ve lost yours, you may be able to get a copy from them.

This same tactic may also work if you need a 1099-MISC from a former client. For other 1099s you can try contacting your bank, broker, or other appropriate entity.

You can also order a transcript of your tax documents directly from the IRS. The only downside is that it will take them 5-10 business days for them to mail the document to you.

You can retrieve transcripts of the following forms from the IRS:

  • 1040. 1040A. and 1040EZ [U.S. Individual Income Tax Return]
  • W-2 [Wage and Tax Statement], W-2G [Certain Gambling Winnings], and 1099-MISC [Miscellaneous Income]
  • 1099-R [Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans,

    IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.] and SSA-1099 [Social Security Benefit Statement]

  • 1041 [U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts], Schedule K-1 [Partner’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc.], 1065 [U.S. Return of Partnership Income], 1120S [U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation]
  • 1099-A [Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property], 1099-B [Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions], 1099-C [Cancellation of Debt]
  • 1098 [Mortgage Interest Statement], 1098-C [Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes], 1098-E [Student Loan Interest Statement], 1098-T [Tuition Statement]

Once you’ve got all the tax documents, you can get started on your return! But hold on there for one second. First you’ve got to choose your tax software – unless you plan on wading through all those old tax forms by yourself. And when it comes to filing taxes late. not all tax companies are created equal.

Some of the larger sites that you may already be familiar with don’t even allow you to prepare a prior year tax return online. It’s essential that you find a company that specializes in late taxes to make the process as smooth as possible.

PriorTax not only specializes in late taxes, but its online application is guaranteed to find you your maximum refund for prior year tax years and free live help is available whenever you need it. Don’t procrastinate on your taxes any longer. Create an account now !

This entry was posted on Monday, January 21st, 2013 at 8:40 pm and is filed under Late Taxes. Tax Tips. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response. or trackback from your own site.

2 Responses to “Can’t Find Documents to Prepare Past Income Taxes? You Can Still File”

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: