Credit portal




How can I reduce my property taxes?

how can i reduce my property taxes

Chris Eckert Real Estate Agent San Mateo, CA (650) 627-3799 Contact Profile

How can I reduce my San Mateo County, California property taxes?

Has your property value dropped below the value listed on your San Mateo County Property Tax Bill? If it has dropped at least 5% below that amount, the County Assessors office may be willing to reduce your tax bill.

The first thing that you should know is that you DON'T have to pay anyone to get your property taxes reduced!

Appeals on annual assessments must be filed between July 2 and November 30. The San Mateo County Assessors website says that appeals for the 2009-2010 tax year are closed. Despite what the website says, I did have a client who was told by someone in the assessors office that they would still consider reductions for the 2009-2010 tax year. I'm not sure how that would work, since the tax bills for that year have already been sent out. I believe that any decrease would be deducted from the 2010-2011 tax year bills.

The Decline in Value form can be filled out online, or printed and mailed or faxed to the County Assessor.

What you will need to complete the form:

  • Information from your San Mateo County Property Tax bill, so

    have that handy!

  • Comparable Sales where the close of escrow occurred between October 1 st 2009 and March 31st 2010. (for the 2010-2011 tax year
    • A comparable sale would be a similar size any type of property with similar bed and bath counts. If you own a condominium, you should note the difference in monthly HOA fees between your association and others. If your HOA fees are much higher, and your complex has approximately the same amenities, the case can be made that this causes your condo less valuable.

If your request for a Property Tax reduction isn't approved on the first attempt, you can contact the County Appraiser who rejected your request and also formally appeal the decision. I have had clients who were initially rejected, finally get their taxes reduced.

If you believe that the value of your property has gone down and your property taxes should be reduced, I can help you run the numbers for the Mid-Peninsula.(Burlingame, Hillsborough, San Mateo, Foster City, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood Shores)

By Chris Eckert Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty BRE 01456626

Posted on January 03, 2011 02:21 PM



Leave an anonymous comment or Log on to ActiveRain to comment as a member.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: