Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals
How to apply
If you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and able to attend an interview at a participating Australia Post retail outlet, you can apply for a TFN on the web. Visit the Australia Post office locator External Link to find a participating retail outlet near you where you can present your identity documents.
End of attention
Otherwise, you will need to complete a paper form Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals (NAT 1432). You can get a copy of this form by:
- ordering online
- phoning 1300 720 092 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- visiting some ATO shopfronts (check our range of services and opening hours before you visit us )
- asking for one from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs if you are applying for a government benefit or pension.
The form must be accompanied by documents which prove your identity – but do not send us original documents.
We accept certified copies of documents. However, certified copies of documents that you mail to us may not be returned to you. Your TFN will not be processed without the necessary documents. A full list of acceptable documents is provided
in the instructions to the form.
If you cannot find your TFN or are not sure you have a TFN, check all your correspondence from us, contact your registered tax agent, or phone us on 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Note: Do not print and submit this online sample form – you must instead complete the paper copy we provide when you order the form from us.
End of get it done
Other ways to apply for a TFN
Foreign passport holders (permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia) can apply for a TFN online at any time after entering Australia. This option is available if you are:
- a working holiday-maker
- a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
- an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
- a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
- a person with a valid visa with work rights.
Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders can complete the form Tax file number – application or enquiry for Aboriginals or Torres Strait Islanders (NAT 1589).