Credit portal




How do i claim a tax refund

how do i claim a tax refund

New title

Have you paid too much tax? If you have, you are entitled to claim a tax rebate. Tax overpayments can be made due to several reasons. Sometimes, when wrong tax code is used, too much tax can be deducted.

You can claim a tax rebate in the following cases:

• If you are employed and too much tax has been cut from your pay

• If you were made redundant and you have overpaid tax

• If you have sent tax return and paid too much tax

• If you have more than one occupational pension and your tax-free allowances have not been distributed properly causing you to pay too much tax

• If you have overpaid tax on income from which you have bought a life annuity

• If you have low income and have paid on savings interest

For claiming such tax rebates, you can contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and

explain what you have overpaid. You will need a National Insurance number, details of the previous jobs and state benefits you have got during that time, bank details and P45.

Even after sending the required information, HMRC may contact you to ask for more details. And, they will finally send your refund by cheque which may take 5 weeks or more depending on the case.

If you have made an online claim, you should wait for 5 weeks before contacting HMRC. However, if you have made postal claim, you should wait for 6 weeks.

The time limit to claim a tax refund is four years from the end of the tax year from which you have paid too much tax. A tax year usually runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the following year.

If you want any help to claim your tax refund, you can get in touch with our tax accountants at 020 7060 9556 now.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: