Credit portal




How to apply for a refund on your vehicle tax

how do i claim road tax back

You can claim a refund of vehicle tax if you sell, scrap, export or take your vehicle off the road. Refunds can only be paid if the tax disc has more than one complete month to run before its expiry.


What you need to do

To claim a refund you will need to use form V14 together with the tax disc.

You can get the V14 at any licence issuing Post Office® branches, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local offices or by download from our vehicle forms link below. The completed V14 and the tax disc should be sent to Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL. Do not send it to a Post Office® branch.

Lost or stolen tax discs and stolen vehicles

You can apply for a refund even if you have lost your tax disc or the vehicle has been stolen. A special application form V33 is available for this purpose from DVLA local offices, or by telephoning 0870 240 0010. Please note that an administration fee is charged where no tax disc is surrendered. In the event of a stolen vehicle, you will need to quote the crime reference number given by the police. Information on what to do if your vehicle is stolen can be found on the link below.

Taking your vehicle off the road

If you are taking your vehicle off the road and keeping it, you can apply for a refund of vehicle tax and declare your vehicle off road (SORN) at the same time by completing the refund form. The notes on the forms will explain what to do. Send the V14 with the tax disc or the V33 to

Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL. Do not send to a Post Office® branch.

How much refund will I get?

You can get a refund for each full month left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply for a refund. To get a refund for any one month, the tax disc must posted to DVLA, Swansea or handed into a DVLA local office before the first day of the month.

The cost of a six month licence includes a 10 percent handling charge which DVLA do not include when they work out your refund.

What will happen next

The DVLA aim to deliver a refund within three weeks of receipt of the application. However, it may take up to six weeks to deliver a refund where:

  • a vehicle has only recently been registered, taxed, involved in a transfer of a registration mark or transferred to a new keeper
  • the vehicle tax class has changed to disabled and the old disc is surrendered for a refund
  • the refund application is made by a third party
  • the amount of refund is over Ј150

Please allow up to six weeks for the refund to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Further information

  • a refund cannot be backdated
  • no refund is payable for a disc that has expired or which expires in less than on complete month
  • no refund is payable in cases when the tax disc surrendered is void because the cheque used in payment has been subsequently dishonoured
  • you must not apply for a refund if your vehicle is in the process of having its registration number transferred or retained

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: