how do i get a copy of my 2014 tax return
1:02 pm PDT March 24, 2015
If you filed your return using the Windows desktop CD/Download, then a copy of your return will be saved on your computer.
To locate your tax file, you will also need to be logged into the same Windows user account you used when you created or saved it.
If you are unsure which account you used when you created or saved your tax file, repeat the steps below for each account on your computer.
- Simultaneously press the Windows+F keys (or go to your Desktop and press F3 ).
- Type *.tax2014 (replace 2014 with the appropriate tax-year return you're looking for).
- In the search results, copy down the tax file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents > TurboTax folder.
- Tip: Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it, as this may cause errors.
- After locating the path to the tax file on your computer, open your tax return using the same tax-year version of TurboTax (for example, open your 2012 return in the TurboTax 2012 program, not TurboTax 2011 or 2013).
After you've filed, it's a very good idea to print a copy for your records.
A copy of your return comes in handy if you need to
amend, apply for a loan, or prepare a return next year. It's also much cheaper than paying the IRS $50 for a replacement copy.
When you print a copy of your return for your records, we include everything that was sent to the government, plus extra documentation and calculation worksheets. However, we can't print out copies of your original W-2 or 1099 forms; you'll need to get those from the original issuer.
Make sure Adobe Reader is installed before proceeding, as you'll need it to print your return. Most computers already come with it, but if yours doesn't, you can download it for free .
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- Click the File tab, and then choose Print/Save for Your Records .
- Choose Print .
- In the pop-up, click Preview Print Copy .
- Your return will open in Adobe Reader. Click the "printer" icon to open the Print window (or select Print from the File menu in the upper left corner).
Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.5; other versions may differ slightly
- Click the Advanced button near the top of the popup window;
- Clear the Print to File checkbox;
- Click OK ,and then click the Print button again.