HOW DO I REFILE MY 2014 TAXES, FEDERAL AND STATE
TurboTax Tax Support
3:39 pm PDT March 8, 2015
To refile, you would need to amend.
If you prepared your return online. follow these steps
- Sign in to your TurboTax account. if you're not already signed in.
- Click Taxes in the upper left area (under the TurboTax logo).
- In the Tax Timeline, click Amend (change) return in the 2014 Tax Year section.
- If you see Let's continue your 2014 return instead, you can't amend because your return hasn't been received by the government. Click the orange Continue my return button and make whatever changes you want before filing. The rest of this article doesn't apply.
- In the pop-up window, click the orange Amend (change) return button. This will put you back into your return.
- On the "Welcome Back" screen, click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return.
- If you don't see the Welcome Back screen, click Federal Taxes (or Personal in Home & Business) > Other Tax Situations > Amend a Return .
- On the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen, click Continue .
- Carefully follow the on-screen directions to amend your return.
- Don't worry if your refund meter drops to "0" or does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- When finished, we'll give
you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
If you prepared your return using software. follow these steps
- Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program.
- Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
- If you made any changes after you filed or mailed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
- Now, copy your return by selecting Save As (or Duplicate in Mac) from the File menu.
- You'll be amending the copy. This preserves your original return "as is," in case you mess up the amendment and need to start again.
- (Optional) Rename the amended copy (e.g. JDoeAmended. 2014 Amended Return. etc.) before you click Save .
- In your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to amend link in the search results.
- Carefully follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2014 return.
- Note: Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0 and does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.