Credit portal




DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLAв„ў How to make a SORN

how do i tax a sorn car

For helpful and convenient driving licence and vehicle advice:

Telephone 0905 801 7211

Calls cost ВЈ1.53 per minute from a BT Landline.

Advice provided is available free of charge from DVLA

Advice you can trust, when you need it

We provide helpful and convenient advice regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

How to make a SORN

Ways to Make a SORN

Use the reference number shown on your Registration Certificate or V11 reminder form.

By Phone

Call 0870 850 4444 and use the reference number shown on your Registration Certificate or V11 reminder form.

At a Post Office with Your V11 Reminder

Use the V11 reminder in person at any Post Office branch that issues tax discs or by post to the address shown on the reminder form.

Find your nearest Post Office branch that issues tax discs

By Post Without a Reminder

Use completed form V890 ‘Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.

When Applying for a Refund

If your tax disc has complete months left to run, you can make a SORN at the same time you apply for a refund of vehicle tax.

In Advance – SORN or Vehicle Tax Due to Expire While You're Abroad

You can make a SORN up to two calendar months in advance. The vehicle must remain in Great Britain. Complete a V890 ‘Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)’ together with a letter explaining why you're applying so far in advance and post them to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.

Alternatively, you can make a SORN online or by phone at the time it's due or get someone to make a SORN for you while you're abroad.

Not Yet Registered as the Vehicle Keeper

If the vehicle isn't already registered in your name, you must submit the Registration Certificate (your details completed in section six) with your SORN notification. If you don't have the certificate, you must complete Form V62 ‘Application for a Registration Certificate (V5C)’ instead.

What Happens NOw?

DVLA should send you a letter confirming SORN. If you don't receive the letter after four weeks of making SORN, you should contact DVLA customer enquiries.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: