Frequently Asked Questions
Applying for a tax refund
When is the best time to apply to see if I’m eligible for a tax refund? The sooner the better. We can only check the last 5 financial years, so if you wait until after 31 March you will lose the earliest year’s refund. Why do I have to wait longer for last year’s tax refund? The IRD does not process refunds for the latest financial year until around mid-June each year. For example, refunds for the 2013/2014 financial year will not be processed until sometime in June 2014. This delay in processing does not impact refunds for previous financial years. What if I have to pay tax? MyTax only file a tax assessment if a refund is due, not if you are assessed as having tax to pay. We have a spotless record for only filing tax refunds, not bills, so you can be assured of our service record. What does it cost? We have a “no refund – no fee” policy for personal tax summary returns, therefore if you don’t get a refund we won’t charge you a cent. We charge a percentage of your tax refund, and you can earn Fly Buys points on all of our fees. See Our Fees for full details. How long will it take to get my tax refund? We aim to let you know your tax refund result within 1 business day. We also aim to have your tax refund paid to you in around 5 days. Occasionally it can take a longer :
- if your tax return requires additional information which takes us longer to prepare and file.
- if your refund is being reviewed at Inland Revenue
- if you have applied for a tax refund for the latest financial year between April and June. Each year the Inland Revenue will only release the latest years refunds around mid June.
(E.g. You apply in April 2015 for your 2015 refund – this will not be released until around mid June 2015)
- New Zealand passport
- Overseas passport with New Zealand immigration visa / permit
- New Zealand 18+ card
- New Zealand Firearms licence
- International Driver’s Permit (issued by a member country of the UN Convention on Road Traffic)
- New Zealand certificate of identity (issued by Department of Labour or Department of Internal Affairs)