Credit portal




How much are canadians taxed

how much are canadians taxed

Ottawa · 955 forum posts

#7 of 23 ·

Ignore PiratesSay, he's obviously never been through this and just guessing.

Gambling winnings while in Vegas (aside from blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, or big-6 wheel) are taxable no matter where you're from. If you're a non-resident alien of the USA (i.e. a Canadian), then you need to file a 1040NR with the IRS (aka, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return).

Note, however, that you can only reclaim taxes on winnings for which you can prove you had offsetting losses, and then only on the taxes paid. If you have a players card, ask for a statement showing losses. Also, you may need to produce receipts, ATM chits, or other forms of proof of your losses, up to and including a diary of the days and times you played.

The IRS has a helpful guide with filling

out the 1040NR here:…d0e8198

So, to accurately answer your question:

- Winnings over $1200 on anything other than blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, or big-6 wheel, are taxable. I.e. Poker, slots, keno, lotteries.

- As a non-resident alien, you'll pay 30% tax.

- You can reclaim taxes based on your ability to prove to the IRS that you had offsetting losses, you file a 1040NR to do that.

- Those helpful looking "reclaim your taxes" services you see at the airport will basically charge you a fee to file the claim on your behalf and still make you do the work of proving your losses.

- If anyone tells you otherwise, they're (a) just guessing or (b) doing it wrong and just haven't been caught.

It's an incredibly PITA, but at the same time, it'd be a nice PITA to have ;)

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: