Credit portal




Registered Vehicle Questions & Answers

how much is my vehicle tax


If your question is not answered below, please submit your complete question  to The County's Assessor's Office at .   A response will be provided via email.

Q. How do I remove a block on my tag?

A. Once your bill is paid, the Office of the Tax Collector can remove your block.  Should you need this block removed immediately, please inform the Tax Cashier when paying your bill.

Q.  What if I do not pay my vehicle tax bill and ignore all attempts by the Collection's Office to communicate with me by phone or mail concerning payment of my delinquent tax bill?

A.  All Mecklenburg County taxpayers are provided ample notice to pay their vehicle tax bill.  In addition to other forced collection remedies available to the Collection's Office such as the garnishment of wages  and attachment of bank accounts, a block is placed on the ability to renew or purchase a current license plate tag or sticker from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).   Ultimately,  any registered vehicle owner who fails to pay his or her vehicle tax bill will risk losing that vehicle .  The names and addresses of registered vehicle owners who have not paid their vehicle tax bills are delivered to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office on a bi-monthly basis.  Sheriff's Deputies are authorized to confiscate your car, truck, motorcycle, van, or trailer and sell it at auction in order to collect the delinquent taxes and recoup the costs of seizure.  Vehicles are seized by Sheriff's Deputies at the taxpayer's residence or work place anytime day or night, seven days a week.  

Q. I sold my registered vehicle (car, truck, van, motorcycle, etc). How do I get this vehicle off the tax records?

A. Your vehicle will not be charged anymore because you will not be renewing the tag. However, we may be able to do a proration and refund some money. We will need a copy of your Bill of Sale showing you sold the vehicle and a receipt (form FS-20) from the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) showing the tag has been turned in.  You can email the required documentation to or mail the documentation to PO Box 31457, Charlotte, NC 28231 (Attention: Prorations).

Please note:  If the vehicle is sold between two individual parties, the Bill of Sale must be notarized.

Q. I turned a vehicle tag into the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. What should I do concerning my vehicle taxes?

A. You may be entitled to a partial refund if taxes are paid or a tax bill proration if the taxes are not yet paid.  In order to make a determination as to if any adjustment is warranted, we need to see a copy of the receipt (FS-20) from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) along with proof of ownership transfer of the vehicle. This could include a copy of the Bill of Sale or a copy of the front and back of the title transfer showing you sold the vehicle.

Q. I moved to another county and I am receiving a bill from Mecklenburg County.  Do I owe this bill?

A. The state does not prorate vehicle property taxes from county to county. State law requires you pay the county you lived in on the day the license tag was renewed. You will need to pay this bill and submit a change of address to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) so they will have your correct address on file to mail a renewal invitation.


I have turned in my leased vehicle and the leasing company says I owe this tax bill.  What do I do now?

A. If the leasing company sold the vehicle you turned in, our office will need to see a Bill of Sale from the leasing company and a receipt (Form FS-20) from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) showing the tag has been turned in. Our office will then look into prorating the leasing company's bill. Please note that depending on the lease agreement, some companies pay the taxes and bill the lessee. Others expect the lessee to pay the Office of the Tax Collector directly.   If instead of selling the vehicle you turned in,  the leasing company leased this vehicle to another person, there are no provisions for prorating the tax bill.

Q. My car was stolen but I have a bill.  Do I owe the taxes?

A. Please provide a letter from the insurance company stating they have taken possession of the title and a receipt from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) showing the tag has been turned in or recognized as lost/stolen. Then we may be able to prorate your bill and you will only pay for the time the tag is valid.

Q. I purchased a new car but I've received a tax bill for my old car.  I transferred the tag, do I still owe this bill?

A. Yes, tax bills are based on the vehicle license tag and the day the tag was renewed. The tax bill must be paid.  Once the tax bill is paid, the tax will be satisfied for your new car during the tag year. You will then receive a new tax bill for the new car for the upcoming year.

Q. I received a tax bill for a car I just purchased a few months ago. Why am I getting a tax bill? Didn't I pay this when I registered the car?

A. When you purchase a car in North Carolina and register it for the first time, you pay state taxes, a road use fee, registration fee, tag and title fees. The tax bill from Mecklenburg County is for county and applicable municipal taxes. You pay this every year and the bill is produced approximately 3 to 4 months after you register or renew the tag for your vehicle. This bill covers a full year beginning with the date the license tag was registered to the date the license tag expires.

Q.  How can I change my name on my tax vehicle tax bill?

A.  Name changes can only be done at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

Q. Can you change my mailing address on my vehicle tax bill?

A. No. Address information comes directly to us from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You need to change it with their offices and they will send us the corrected information the next time you renew your license tag.

Q. I don't think the value on my vehicle is correct. Is there any way to appeal the value?

A. Yes, please dial 311 or contact the County Assessor's Office via e-mail at .  They will assist you with the information necessary to request an appeal of your vehicle value. 

Q. I have received a bill and the vehicle make is correct but the model is wrong.  Who do I talk to about this?

A. Please dial 311 or contact the County Assessor's Office via e-mail at .

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: