Credit portal




How to Amend a Tax Return, Tax Amendment

In order to make changes, make corrections, or add information to an income tax return that has already been accepted by the IRS, you must file a tax amendment or amend your accepted federal or state tax return.

Review the sections below for tax amendment information:

Should I File a Federal Tax Amendment (Amended Tax Return)?

If your federal tax return has been filed or efiled and accepted by the IRS, and you need to add more tax information to your income tax return or make any changes to that tax return, you will need to file a tax amendment or amend your tax return using Form 1040X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return.

Am I Required to File an Amended Return?

You are not required to file an amended return. If you believe that your filed and accepted tax return was accurate to your best knowledge, you may not need to amend your return.

However, if you decide to amend your return, you must make all the necessary corrections or additions. For example, you cannot only make the corrections that would increase your refund and not make any corrections that would increase the amount the taxes you owe.

Should I File an Accepted State Income Tax Return?

Your state tax liability may be significantly impacted by changes made to your federal income tax return.

Check your state's tax department website for information on how to amend your state return. The forms and instructions for completing an amended state return are available from each state's tax department website.

Preparing and Filing Amended Tax Returns: Common FAQ's

When Should I Amend a Tax Return?

You should file an amended tax return if you need to make any changes to an already accepted tax return (e.g. your filing status. your dependent information, credits. deductions. income, etc.).

Important efile Tax Tip: Your submitted state tax return or state tax obligation might be be affected by changes made to your federal tax return. Please contact your state tax agency for assistance.

When Should I Not Amend a Tax Return?

If you did not efile your tax return, you may have made simple math errors or forgotten to attach certain forms. The IRS will generally catch the mathematical mistakes and correct the errors while they process your original return. If the IRS wants additional information from you (i.e. a missing form or clarification on information included in the original return), they will generally send you a request via letter in the mail.

If you efiled your return on, the online tax software will have already done the math for you correctly, and made sure you had the proper forms filled out.

Can I efile a Tax Amendment?

If you prepared and efiled your MOST RECENT TAX YEAR return on, you can prepare a tax amendment online (earlier Tax Years cannot be prepared online). Though you can prepare an amended tax return online, you cannot efile it because the IRS does not allow tax amendments to be efiled. Therefore, you will need to mail your completed, amended return to the IRS in order for it to be filed.

What If I Did Not Prepare and efile My Original Return on

We recommend preparing and filing a 1040X on paper. Alternatively, you can work with one of our real live taxperts (who will prepare and file your amended return for you):

How do I prepare a 1040X form on

After you sign into your account. make sure all your current Tax Year federal information has been entered. In addition, make sure you print out your original, accepted tax return (click on "My Account" in your account and find links to all of the returns you prepared under the "My Returns" heading). That way, you can refer to it when you're preparing your tax amendment.

On your account screen, click on -> Review (left side menu) -> scroll down to the "Add a federal form" search box -> enter "1040X" in the box and click "Add a form" next to it.

The online tax software will generate a Form 1040X (federal tax amendment form) for you to print out, sign, and mail to the IRS (the address is on the FORM 1040X). Unfortunately, the IRS does not allow an amended return to be efiled. so you must print your completed Form 1040X and mail it to the IRS address provided on the form. Attach any schedules or forms that have been changed to your prepared 1040X form, but you do not need to send a copy of your original return.

Simply click one of the links below to start preparing your tax amendment online:

New Users

Registered Users

Can I prepare a state tax amendment online?

You can contact your state tax department for information on how to amend your state return.

Preparing a tax amendment can be tedious and quite often frustrating. So why do it alone? We have responded to many client inquiries and have created an online tax preparation platform for tax returns, tax amendments, or tax questions.

(Base price for a tax amendment prepared by our online LIVE CPA/Accountant is $79)

The Benefits of working with a TaxPro

How do I prepare and file my own tax amendment on paper?

You can download Form 1040X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return, and complete the form with Adobe Reader. Make sure that you check the box on the top of the form to show which Tax Year you are amending.

Form 1040X has three columns that you will need to fill out:

  • Column A: Put the amounts from your original, accepted return.
  • Column B: Include the total increase or decrease for the amounts you are changing.
  • Column C: Write the corrected amounts.

On the back of the form, you should explain what you are changing and the reasons why you are making the changes.

When you are done, just print the form, sign it, and mail it to the mailing address shown on the form. Attach any schedules or forms that have been changed to your Form 1040X (failing to do this will cause a processing delay), but you do not need to send a copy of your original return.

What Is the Deadline to Amend My Return?

In order to claim a tax refund, a tax amendment has to be filed within 3 years you filed the original tax return (including extensions), or within 2 years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. After 3 years, you can no longer claim a refund, and the money goes to the government.

If you owe taxes. you should file an amended return even if 3 years have passed. Refunds are forfeit after 3 years, but tax debts stay on the books for a minimum of 10 years.

How Long Will It Take for My Tax Amendment to Process?

Once you have mailed in your federal tax amendment form 1040X, it will take between 8 to 12 weeks from the IRS receipt date until the form is processed. You can check the status of your amended return on the IRS "Where's My Amended Return" tool. This tool is available by calling 1-866-464-2050 or by visiting the IRS website. You can check your status online by clicking the button below:

Please be aware that the IRS "Where's my refund" online

service does not keep track of amendment refunds.

When Will I Get My Amended Refund?

If you are amending a return in order to get an additional tax refund, you can go ahead and cash or deposit any refund you get in the meantime. However, do not file your amended return until after you receive the refund.

It generally takes the IRS 8-12 weeks to process an amended return, so you should wait at least 8 weeks before checking on the status of your new amended tax refund. Once your amended return has been processed, you will receive any additional refund you are owed.

If it's been over 12 weeks and you still have not received your amended refund check, you can find more information about your refund by calling the IRS customer support line at 1-800-829-1040. Here's a tip for when you call: Press 1 (for English), press 0 (zero), press 0 (zero), and you should be able to talk to a live person at the IRS. The best time to reach the IRS is between 7-9 AM and 6-7 PM, Monday-Friday.

What If I'm Amending My Tax Return Because I Owe Additional Tax?

You should file your Form 1040X and pay your balance due as soon as possible to avoid further interest and penalties on unpaid taxes .

If I'm Amending My Tax Return to Obtain a Refund, Will the IRS Claim My Refund to Pay Taxes I Owe?

If you file an amended return asking for considerable money back, the IRS may review the situation even more carefully. As an alternative, you can apply all or part of your refund to your current year’s tax.

What If I'm Expecting My Original Tax Refund, But I Have Not Received It Yet?

You should wait until you receive the tax refund before you amend your tax return. This allows for any changes or corrections the IRS may have made to your return.

Can I Amend More than One Return at the Same Time?

Yes, but if you file two or more amended returns at the same time, you should use a different Form 1040X for each Tax Year. Make sure that you enter the correct Tax Year at the top of each 1040X. Sign each amended return and mail each one in a separate envelope.

What If I Have More Questions About Tax Amendments?

Only for Taxpayers Who Filed Their Original Return on How to Change or Amend an IRS Accepted Income Tax Return

1. After you sign into your account, make sure all your current federal information has been entered in your account.

2. Make sure you have your original, accepted tax return handy so you can refer to it when you're preparing your tax amendment. To download and/or print out a copy of your return, sign into your account, click "My Account" (on the upper right-hand corner), and click the link for the appropriate tax return under the "My Returns" heading to download your return as a PDF. You will be able to print the return by clicking on the print button on the top menu of the PDF page.

Important efile Tax Tip: For record keeping purposes, make sure you store your tax return safely on your computer and as a hard copy.

3. Click -> Review (left side menu) -> scroll down to the "Add a federal form" search box -> enter "1040X" in the box and click "Add a form" next to it. Complete this form and print and mail it in.

Important efile Tax Tip : Currently, you can prepare a state tax amendment for some states on Click on "State Taxes" on the left side menu and find the amended form for your state. If the form is not listed, check your state's tax department website for information on how to amend your state return .

4. If you are completing your 1040X form on paper (for a current or previous Tax Year), make sure you have a copy of your efiled/filed tax return in front of you. Then follow these instructions:

  • Retrieve/open or download the Federal Tax Amendment Form 1040X .
  • Fill in the form using your keyboard. Simply move your cursor over the field and use your keyboard to fill in the information. Make sure you have your tax return (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and Form 1040X in front of you.
  • In column A of Form 1040X ("Original amount"), enter the amounts from your original return.
  • In column C ("Correct amount"), enter the adjusted new amounts (the difference between columns A and C will be in column B, "Net change").

5. If you need to explain the specific changes that you made and give reasons for making these changes, you can type your explanation in the "Part III, Explanation of changes" section of your account (to find the section, follow the instructions in step 3; in the search box, type "Part III, Explanation of changes" ). If you're completing a 1040X form on paper, you can write the explaination on the back of the form.

6. When you are finished preparing your 1040X form, PRINT, SIGN, and MAIL Form 1040X, including any schedules if necessary (postal address is listed on Form 1040X).

7. If you efiled your return through and you are amending a return for a previous year, you are not quite done yet. Please make sure you sign into your account and update or correct the original tax return to reflect the information that your entered on your amended return (you can do this by updating the different tabs of your current tax return). If you don't do this, your data for next year's return will not be up-to-date. Once you have done this, calculate the return and download and/or print a copy to keep with your tax records. Save the file as "Completed-Tax-Return-with-Amendment" or something similar.

When you sign off from your account, your tax information will be updated. Next year, your return on will show the correct amounts that you filed for the current Tax Year return. Again, remember to keep copies of the amended return and Form 1040X for your files.

Mailing Addresses for Amended Tax Returns

If you are filing Form 1040X in response to a notice you received from the IRS, mail it to the address shown on that notice. Otherwise, mail your 1040X to the address on the form. Attach any forms or schedules which have been changed.

Please refer to the following mailing addresses below if you have a specific tax situation:

Reimbursement Received As a Result of Hurricane-Related Loss

Department of the Treasury

Mailing Amended Tax Return Along with Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ

For Residents in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas

Internal Revenue Service Center

Austin, TX 73301

Residents in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

Internal Revenue Service Center

Fresno, CA 93888-0422

Residents in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Dual-Status Aliens, Live in a Foreign Country, Have a U.S. Possession or Territory, Use an APO or FPO Address, or File Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ

Internal Revenue Service Center

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: