Credit portal




How do I Register my Business?

You must register with the Illinois Department of Revenue if you conduct business in Illinois, or with Illinois customers. This includes sole proprietors (individual or husband/wife/civil union), exempt organizations, or-government agencies withholding for Illinois employees.

Register Your Business

To register your business you must either

  • electronically register through MyTax Illinois (approximately one to two days to process), or
  • complete and mail Form REG-1. Illinois Business Registration Application, to us at the address on the form. Form REG-1 is available on our web site as a fill-in and savable form, by calling us at 1 800 356-6302, or at one of our offices .

In addition, you may have to complete corresponding schedules, such as

  • Schedule REG-1-A, Liquor Information,
  • Schedule REG-1-C, Cigarette and Tobacco Products Information,
  • Schedule REG-1-D, Electricity Tax Self-Assessing Purchaser,
  • Schedule REG-1-G, Gas Use Tax Self-Assessing Purchaser,
  • Schedule REG-1-L, Illinois Business Site Location Information,
  • Schedule REG-1-MR, Illinois Cigarette Manufacturer's Representative,
  • Schedule REG-1-O, Owner and Officer Information,
  • Schedule REG-1-R, Responsible Party Information, and
  • Schedule REG-1-T, Telecommunications Tax Location Information.

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing if you complete and mail Form REG-1 to us.

If applicable, you will receive your certificate of registration and taxpayer ID (i.e. your “tax” number).

Register with us, using one of the above methods, before you make any purchases, sales, or when you hire an employee. You must display your Certificate of Registration in a prominent location in the place of business to which it applies.

If your business is already registered and your information changes (e.g. address change, ownership change, additional tax responsibilities, new location), update your registration information by calling us at 217 785-3707.

If you do not,

  • your returns and payments may not be processed correctly;
  • we may send you a tax bill or notice; and
  • you may not receive the forms or needed information about tax law changes.

Contact us if you do not receive forms to file for your tax responsibilities.

If you prefer, you may also contact our Central Registration Division.

Central Registration Division

Illinois Department of Revenue

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: