Credit portal




How to apply for disabled road tax

If you're a disabled person you may not have to pay vehicle excise duty (car tax) for a tax disc.

Who is eligible

You may claim exemption from vehicle excise duty (road tax) if you're getting one of the following:

* The higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance

* The War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement

If you're not the driver, you can nominate someone else (a nominee) to drive the car for you. But the car must:

1. be registered either to you or your nominee

2. only be used for your benefit

3. be insured for the nominee to drive

If you don't own a car, you can nominate someone else's vehicle but it must be used only for your purposes for example shopping or getting prescriptions.

If you have an 'invalid carriage'

Invalid carriages do not need to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or display a tax disc if they are for foot-way use only, and:

1. have a maximum speed of 4 mph, and

2. weigh less than 113.4 kgs

Other invalid carriages do need to be registered and taxed if they are being used on public roads but you will be entitled to a free tax disc if the vehicle:

1. weighs less than 509 kgs, and

2. is adapted, used or kept on a road for a disabled person

You do not need to be in receipt of a disability benefit or apply for an exemption certificate in order to get a free tax disc for an invalid carriage.

How it's paid

You'll get a free tax disc for your own car or for the one driven by your nominee.

Effect on other benefits

Vehicle excise duty (car tax) exemption won't affect other benefits you may be getting.

How to apply

Step one: get an exemption certificate

If you're getting Disability Living Allowance, you'll need exemption certificate DLA 404 from the Disability Benefits Unit:

Telephone: 0845 712 3456

Textphone: 0845 722 44 33

You can get in contact 7.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday.

If you're getting the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement, you'll need exemption certificate WPA 442 from the Veterans Agency:

Telephone: 0800 169 2277

You can get in contact 8.15 am to 5.15 pm Monday to Thursday, and 8.15 am to 4.15 pm on Fridays.

If you have a nominated driver, you must ask for their name to appear on the exemption certificate as well.

Step two: use your exemption certificate to apply for a free tax disc

If you're buying a new car, you can apply for a free tax disc through the dealer. You'll need to give them your exemption certificate but make sure you get it back afterwards.

If you already have the vehicle's registration certificate V5C, you can apply for a free disc at the Post OfficeВ®. You'll need to complete form V10 (Vehicle Licence Application) and take your MOT and insurance paperwork as well.

If you only have the 'New Keepers' part of the registration certificate V5C/2, you need to apply for a disc at your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) Local Office. (The V5C/2 is only valid for two months from the date you bought the car).

You'll need to take or send forms:

1. V62 (Application Form for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C)

2. V10 (Vehicle Licence Application)

3. your MOT

4. insurance certificate

What to do if your circumstances change

If you no longer qualify for vehicle excise duty (car tax) exemption, you'll need to re-license your car by paying the correct rate of vehicle excise duty.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: