Credit portal




How to change address with irs

how to change address with irs

How To File A Change of Address with the IRS

Should I notify the IRS of my change of address?

If you have moved, or your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure that you receive any IRS tax refund or correspondence. You may correct the address legibly on the mailing label that came with your tax package, or write the new address on your income tax return when you file. When your tax return is processed, the IRS will update your records.

If you change your address after filing your return, you should, of course, notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded (not all post offices forward government checks). To change your address with the IRS, write to the service center where you filed your last

return and provide your new address. (The service center addresses are listed in the instructions to the tax forms.)

For the IRS to process a change of address, they need your full name, old and new addresses, and your social security number or employer identification number and signature. If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. If you filed a joint return, and then you and your spouse established separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.

Form 8822, Change of Address. is available to help you submit an address change, but is optional.

The U.S. Post Office will furnish the IRS with change of address updates weekly. Tax forms will be mailed to the last change of address furnished by the Post Office.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: