Credit portal




How to File Taxes 2014: E-file 1040 and W-2 Forms with IRS vs. Using an Accountant

how to e file taxes

By Carlos Garcia | Mar 11, 2014 02:56 PM EDT

(Photo. Flickr/401(K) 2013)

It can be confusing to know how or when to file your federal and state income taxes, but there are several tax filing options available that will make filing your taxes easy and headache free.

One option, which is used by more than one hundred million Americans, is to e-file your 1040 tax form directly with the IRS. E-filing the 1040 form with the IRS is free if your household income is below $58,000. If your household income is above $58,000, you can still e-file your tax form but you will have to use a commercial tax filing software to do so. There are several commercial tax filing websites available. These options typically have a fee for filing taxes which range from nominal to somewhat expensive

so it is worth researching the different software and websites before choosing one.

Another popular option is to sit down with a professional tax preparer. The tax preparer is similar to using a tax preparation software but you are face-to-face with a person. This allows you to ask specific questions which may not be answered through a website or software. A tax preparer will select the best tax filing form that suits your needs. With a tax preparer, you can chose to e-file your tax form or mail it through the U.S. postal service.

Whether you fill out the 1040 form yourself or use software or a tax preparer, most of the income information you will use to file your taxes will come from your W-2 form. Your employer will provide you with a W-2 form for the previous year's earnings.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: