Credit portal




How to file 2005 taxes

how to file 2005 taxes

Free Tax Filing 2005

The only online provider I'm aware of that offers previous year tax preparation for free is UncleTax:

They offer 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. Only 2008 can be e-filed (till Oct 15, 2009). The other years need to be mailed in - they provide you with PDFs of your returns.

The only 'catch' is that you have to sign up for a free/trial offer. But the offers seem legit.

Freddie Said:

I need to find my AGI from my 2005 tax return, but I can't find my printout. Where can i go to get this info?

We Answered:

Yes the IRS can provide this information. They will first need to verify you idenitity, call 1-800-829-1040 Monday thru Friday from 7 am to 10pm. Once they verify your ideniitity they can pull your account up right then and provide the information that you need. You can also have them send you a transcript of the return for you to keep for your records free of charge. You would get this with in 7 to 10 days via a phone call or by using form 4506T, Or order an actual photo copy of the return filing in form 4506, this process can take approx. 60 days to process.

Gene Said:

If you filed taxes for 2005. is there a way that you can find out your tax info if you lost it?

We Answered:

From the IRS website:

Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One

If you need an actual copy of your return, you should complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return along with a check or money order for $ 39.00 per tax year made payable to the "United States Treasury". Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Transcripts are provided free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies

for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.

You can obtain a transcript by calling (800)–829–1040 or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions to request all types of transcript verification of non-filing, and wage/income information.

Transcripts will be mailed directly to you, and should be received within two weeks after the IRS gets your request. Transcripts can be mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506–T. However, you must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure.

Francisco Said:

Does it cost to file your 2005 taxes if you do them on turbo tax but it doesn't have efile?

We Answered:

You'll have to print out and mail each return separately as it's too late to e-file any of those years. Do NOT put them all in the same envelope! There is no fee for filing by mail.

If 2005 shows a refund you won't receive it as it's too late to claim a refund for 2005. Refunds must be claimed within 3 years of the filing deadline. Exception: If you were active duty military stationed in a combat pay zone on April 15, 2006 and have not had 6 months outside of a combat pay zone between then and May or June of 2006 you may be able to claim the refund. Attach documentation of your service in a combat pay zone. (A copy of orders or copies of LES's showing that you were being paid excluded combat pay during that time should suffice.

You can still get refunds for 2006 - 2008.

I'd suggest that you send each return via Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, especially the 2005 return if you are claiming the extended filing deadline (6 months from return from a combat pay zone) on that return.

Carol Said:

You do not have to file the earlier year first, although it is a good idea to do so, as a rule. With just one W-2, I would go ahead and efile 2006 and do the paper return for 2005. You can print the forms off the IRS website. If you are not going to itemize, have no children or other dependents or no higher education expenses I do not think you will have much difficulty completing the form.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: