Credit portal




Do You Need to File a Federal Tax Extension? Here's How

how to file federal taxes

autoplay autoplay

Copy this code to your website or blog

Don't worry if you can't make the April 15 deadline to file your federal taxes. You can ask for an automatic six-month extension from the Internal Revenue Service.

By filing an extension, you will avoid stiff penalties for not filing your federal tax returns by the April 15 deadline. But you will need to complete a Form 4868 by April 15, mail it in or complete it online at Free File on IRS's website.

To file an extension, you will need your name and address, your Social Security number, an estimated tax liability and the amount you're paying with the extension. Filling out Form 4868 gives taxpayers until Oct. 15 to file a return.

"The worst thing you could do is not do anything," said Stephen Henley, national tax practice leader at CBIZ MHM.

The late-filing penalty can be up

to 10 times more than the late-payment penalty. The late-filing penalty is 5 percent of the additional taxes owed amount for every month your return is late, up to a maximum of 25 percent. The late payment penalty is 0.5 percent of the additional tax owed amount for every month (or fraction thereof) the owed tax remains unpaid, up to a maximum of 25 percent.

Filing an extension doesn't mean you are off the hook for paying your taxes by April 15. "All you are doing with an extension is getting a little more time to get your returns in order," Henley said.

Don't underestimate the amount of money you owe; you do not want to be saddled with interest.

You can also request an installment plan. With this option, taxpayers can make monthly payments on their total bill. It's important to note that there are fees associated with installment plans, Hryck said.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: