Credit portal




How can I get records to file last 4 years taxes.

how to file last years taxes

Posted July 30, 2014 7:26pm

I will say first that if you have a lawyer in the negligence lawsuit you should be speaking to her or him, not to us. If you don't have a lawyer you should consult with someone for some help. Contact the local bar association in your area to see if they have a referral service that will refer you to a lawyer who can meet with you initially for a small fee only.

That being said, you should be able to get some of that information from the IRS directly. If you go to the IRS website at this page:

you should be able to get copies of some of the data the IRS has for you. I would suggest you request all four of the transcripts listed there for the last 6 years; but make sure you definitely get copies of the Tax Account transcript and the Wage and Income transcript for the last 6 years.

The Wage and Income Transcript will have a record of the W-2 information that was filed by employers; keep in mind that not all of your employers may have filed. It will also show payments you've received from the government, like unemployment and social security. The Tax Account transcript will show what actions the IRS has taken on your case; it's always good to know what the IRS is doing.

If you didn't have any other income other than

from your part-time employers, you should generally have enough information to complete a basic tax return. If you do, you should attach a statement to each return saying that you don't have records and that you prepared the return based on the IRS Wage and Income transcript (and anything else you find useful) and that where you didn't have direct information you made a good faith estimate. Since most states generally follow the IRS when it comes to income and deductions, information you use for your federal return should be enough to let you prepare and file your state returns as well.

For NY you can contact the Tax Department and request a copy of your Consolidated Statement of Account, which will give you a basic summary of what NY thinks you owe in tax. I don't practice in Mass. but I am certain that they have a similar procedure you can use to get copies of the MA tax department's transcripts for your account.

Good luck.

My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: