Credit portal




How to File Massachusetts State Income Taxes

Full-year Massachusetts residents can use WebFile for Income to file their state income taxes online, reducing paperwork

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) oversees the process by which full- and part-year residents – as well as nonresidents – pay annual state income taxes. It collects the majority of tax revenue in Massachusetts.

Who Should File?

Not sure if you need to file a state tax return? Requirements take into account where you lived and worked during the year, as well as your gross income (how much money you earned before taxes were withheld). Generally, anyone with a gross income greater than $8,000 during a tax year (January 1-December 31) must file a Massachusetts state tax return. There are three classifications for Massachusetts state income tax filers:

  • Full-year resident. Someone who has lived in Massachusetts for the full taxable year or shared residency between Massachusetts and another state and spent an aggregate of 183 or more days in Massachusetts.
  • Part-year resident. Someone who has moved into Massachusetts and established residency or someone who has moved out of Massachusetts and

    established residency in another state.

  • Nonresident. Someone who is not a resident or part-year resident of Massachusetts, but earned income in Massachusetts.

When Are Massachusetts State Tax Returns Due?

Massachusetts personal income tax returns are due after the close of each tax year and before April 15; if April 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day.

Notably, the deadline for filing federal taxes might be different from the deadline for filing Massachusetts state taxes. To avoid a late-file penalty, the best plan is to start early.

How To File A Massachusetts State Tax Return

Massachusetts state tax returns can be filed several ways. Electronic returns can be filed:

  • Using the DOR’s free WebFile for Income program;
  • Through an approved tax practitioner, such as a tax lawyer or certified public accountant (CPA); or,
  • Using a DOR-approved commercial tax filing website or software product .

For those filing a paper copy:

Getting Help with Your Taxes

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: