Credit portal




How to file nj taxes

how to file nj taxes

Filing Nj Tax

NJ state tax Married but live and work in different states?

We Answered:

The claim on a previous post that you need to file NY resident and NJ non-resident returns is absolutely backward. In both NY and NJ, the term "resident" refers to where you LIVE, not where you WORK.

I am very familiar with NY and NJ rules, but not PA, so you will need to investigate further what you wife should do. Here is what you need to do:

For Federal taxes, you and your wife have the choice of married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately (MFS). The best way to make that choice is to do the returns both ways, and pick the method giving the lowest total tax due.

Then you need to prepare your NY non-resident return. Use the same filing status as on your Federal return. The form will ask for the total income from your Federal return, and then ask you to show how much came from NY sources. If you file MFJ but only you have NY source income, only you will need to sign the NY return. You will end up paying NY non-resident income tax only on your NY source income, although your total income from all sources will be used in the calculation steps.

Then you need to prepare your NJ resident return. If you file your Federal return MFS, you must also file your NY resident return MFS. If you file your Federal return MFJ, you have the choice to file your NJ resdident return as MFJ (in which case your wife's income will be taxed as if she were a NJ resident) or as MFS (but only if your wife was not a resident of NJ during any part of the year, so that she does not need to file a NJ resident return at all). Be sure to include the form to take the credit for taxes paid to other states, so that you will get credit for the non-resident tax you calculated on your NY filing.

Sally Said:

Live in NJ. work in NY, w2 from CT, where to file tax return?

We Answered:

You need to file your taxes in the state that you are the resident of. So file in NJ

Phillip Said:

We Answered:

Most states with income taxes tax income earned in their state, whatever the employer's "home" address is. You may well owe income taxes to both NJ and NY. Unless you are an independent contractor getting a 1099 at the end of the tax year, your pay stub should reflect the taxes withheld for each state, as should your w-2. You may be entitled to a refund if you overpaid one state, though you might have underwithheld for the other state.

Nellie Said:

How does one calculate employer tax percentage in NJ ?

We Answered:

Every quarter you will receive an NJ-927 in the mail, this will have all the rates broken down by employer and employee. You can also go to…

You will need to sign in using you taxpayer ID and your pin (which is given on your NJ-927) or if you don't have the pin you can put in your business name (your business name has to be put in exactly the way it was when you registered with the state). Once you log in go to where you would file a return and you will see the rates.

Also you do not need to inform employees of the employer paid tax portion. They only need a pay stub every time they receive a check showing a beak down of what was withheld from their pay.

Tiffany Said:

i live/work in NY but my employer filled out my tax docs as nj and all taxes paid to nj -what do i do?

We Answered:

Why didn't you raise this issue with the first paycheck. Letting it go for upwards of a year or more is probably going to cost you.

File a NJ non-resident return showing $0 income and the NJ tax withheld. Attach an explanatory note to the return for clarification.

Then file your NY resident return and pay the taxes due. Use the NJ refund to pay off NY. Unfortunately NY is probably going to hit you with penalties and interest for late payment. There's little or no chance of getting out of those, however, as you're well past the filing deadline and SHOULD have had this corrected with your first paycheck. Attach an explanatory note here as well and hope for the best, but be prepared to fess up with the penalties and interest as well.

Edit: Don't bother with calling the IRS as another poster suggests. This is strictly a STATE tax issue. The IRS has no dog in that fight and cannot help you. You and your employer share equal fault in this -- your employer for messing up in the first place and YOU for not catching it with the first paycheck. Whenever you get paid, READ THE PAYSLIP and make SURE that it is accurate! If you catch an error on payday, it's child's play to correct it right away. Letting it slide for a year and never checking your payslips was a major error on your part.

Shelly Said:

I live in CA but work in NJ for the last few months, do I owe income tax to both states?

We Answered:

You have to file in both, but you only pay in one. I had this same thing with GA and NC. You'll pay in whichever state you are a permanent resident of, but you'll still file in the other state, and you'll file a form for out-of-state residents in that state.

So, you'll pay California, if you live there as a permanent resident, and you'll file an out-of-resident form for NJ. You'll get any tax you paid to NJ back, but you may wind up paying some or all of it to California.

Alicia Said:

what forms should be used for filing 2008 NJ State Tax ?

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: