Credit portal




How do I file a part-year state return?

how to file state tax

If you were a resident of 2 different states during the tax year (for example, if you moved from one state to another), you'll normally file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state.

TurboTax handles part-year returns, but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly to trigger the part-year state interviews:

  1. With your return open, click the first tab, Personal Info .
  2. Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  3. Click Edit next to your name at the top.
  4. Select the state you were a resident of as of December 31, 2014 from the State of Residence drop-down.
  5. Answer Yes at the line right below it (that you lived in another

    state during 2014).

    • Select your former state from the Previous state of residence drop-down.
    • Enter the date you became a resident of your new state. This can be the date you arrived in that state.
  6. Proceed until you're back at the Your Personal Info Summary  screen. Repeat Steps 3-5 for your spouse, if needed.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State Taxes tab, where you'll see your part-year states listed. We suggest you prepare the return for the state you're in now, followed by your former state.

But if you also see a nonresident state return on the State Taxes tab, do that one before you do your part-year return(s) to ensure the tax credits work out correctly.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: