Credit portal




How to Report Tax Fraud to the IRS

Washington DC

We receive questions every day about how to report tax fraud (or report tax evasion ). Reporting tax fraud happens in two different ways, both of which require submitting written documents to the IRS. There is no centralized “IRS Fraud Hotline ” to call, the IRS is only set up to accept this kind of information in writing. The two reporting options are: to submit a Form 3949A “tip form” to the IRS in which you give them the information you have; or you can submit a Form 211 “award claim form” to the IRS in which you provide information to the IRS that will help them detect an underpayment of tax, which makes you eligible for a whistleblower award if they collect tax based on your information. These same options apply whether you are reporting tax evasion, corporate tax underpayments. abusive tax shelters. uncertain tax positions. or even math errors.

There are additional considerations when reporting tax fraud or deciding whether whistle blowing is the right thing to do, and even more to consider when trying to figure out which of these alternatives would be the best method. Anonymity, security, protecting confidentiality. availability of evidence, and the type and size of the tax issue are just a few things to keep in mind when considering blowing the whistle or reporting tax fraud. If you are a professional in the tax or accounting field there are additional factors to consider which will be critical to the potential success of your claim.

Confidential Consultations, Nationwide Practice — 1-800-275-3332

Take steps to protect your rights and interests as an IRS whistleblower. For questions regarding how to report tax fraud, call or contact us directly at our Washington, D.C. or Miami, Florida, area offices to speak confidentially with one of our attorneys.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: