Credit portal




Registering a Business in Virginia

how to get a tax id for my business

All entities conducting business in the Commonwealth of Virginia must register their business with the Virginia Department of Taxation (TAX). You can register online using VATAX Online Services .

VATAX Online is free, fast, easy and secure. The online registration process will only ask you for information that pertains to the type of business you have. You can start the registration process, save a draft and come back later to complete your registration.

When you have completed your online registration with the Department you will be assigned a Virginia Tax account number. It is important that you include your Virginia Tax account number on all tax returns, payments, and other information you file.

  • If your business will be collecting sales tax a Certificate of Registration is provided at the end of your Registration process. This is your permit to collect sales tax, and issue and receive exemption certificates. The Certificate of Registration must be displayed at your physical place of business.
  • If you plan to hire employees you can easily register your Business with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at the same time you register with TAX. VEC is responsible for collecting unemployment tax.

If you are

unable to register online you may download the paper Registration form (R-1) to mail in or fax.

New Businesses

Most new businesses, depending on your business structure should first register with the IRS and/or State Corporation Commission before registering with the Department of Taxation.

You also should obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) as a unique identifier for use with most federal, state and local agencies. You can obtain a FEIN in a matter of minutes online through the IRS website .

The Virginia Department of Business Assistance (VDBA) provides a one-stop-service for technical assistance related to business formation, access to capital, workforce development and entrepreneurial workshops. VDBA provides an online interactive Business One Stop system to assist you in registering your business with several Virginia state and local agencies at one time.

Other valuable resources:

Household Employers

If you employ household service employees you must register with both TAX and VEC as an Employer. VATAX Online offers a simple and easy registration process for household employers.

Household Employees include:

  • Babysitters
  • Caretakers
  • Cleaning people
  • Domestic Workers
  • Drivers
  • Yard workers
  • Health aides
  • Housekeepers
  • Maids
  • Nannies
  • Private Nurses

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: