Credit portal




How to get prior year tax returns

how to get prior year tax returns

Prior Year Tax Return Copies

The Tax Assistance Program (TAP) participates in the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA membership requirements stipulate that (a) we not retain copies of any returns prepared; and (b) we not charge any fees for our services.

This means that the TAP will not be able to supply copies of missing prior year tax returns for any tax client. However, if you follow the instructions below, you should be able to obtain either a transcript or photocopies of the returns filed for tax years prior to the current tax year.

Return Copies and Transcripts

If you need an actual copy of your return, you must complete and mail Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. The form has a fee (see form instructions) and a check or money order made payable to the "United States Treasury" must be included with the form. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies. Download the form from this site .

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return or account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Transcripts

are provided free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.

You can obtain a transcript by calling (800)–829–1040 or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions to request all types of transcript verification of non-filing, and wage/income information. Download the form from this site .

Transcripts will be mailed directly to you, and should be received in about two weeks after the IRS gets your request. Transcripts can be mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506–T. However, you must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure.

You can find additional information at: this web page

Copies of Prior Year Indiana Returns

Indiana uses an online email to initiate a request for a copy of a prior year's tax return filed. On the Subject line type the word "Other". In the body of the message give your name, the tax year for which you want a copy, your SSN or ITIN number. You also need to give your email address so you can be contacted if that is necessary.

Use this web page to send that email.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: