Credit portal




How do you get a Tax Refund in the UK

how to get tax refund in uk

If you have worked in the UK and paid tax on your earnings, you might be able to claim a tax refund. Learn more from this article:

  • How do I get a tax refund?
  • Do I need any special tax refund forms to make my claim?
  • What if I have lost my P45 or P60?
  • How long does it take get a tax refund?

How do I get a tax refund?

You get a tax refund if you have overpaid tax. There are a number of reasons why you might have overpaid tax, including: (1) Working while a student (2) Leaving the UK to return home (3) Being on an emergency tax code (4) Stopped working during the tax year.

To claim your tax refund you need to submit a claim with the Inland Revenue, you can either do this yourself or we can do it for you by applying for a tax rebate assessment .

Do I need any special tax refund forms to make my claim?

If you are making your claim yourself you will need

to submit a number of tax forms to the Inland Revenue. These could include

  • Any P45 /P60’s from previous/current employers
  • A P91
  • P85 /P86 - Leaving/Entering the UK forms
  • Covering Letter
  • Form P38(S) - Inland Revenue Student Form

What if I have lost my P45 or P60?

You can get a replacement in the form of a ‘statement of earnings’ which will be accepted by the Inland Revenue in replace of the P60 or P45. To get a ‘statement of earnings’ you should write to your employers payroll department asking for a statement of earnings on headed company paper for the years you worked for them. The company is required by law to provide a statement of earnings, however they could charge a small fee of around 10 pounds.

How long does it take to get a tax refund?

If however you do not send all your employment history or P45/P60s it might take longer as the Inland Revenue might have to get confirmation of your details and then the claim will start all over again.

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: