Credit portal




How do we actually get through to the IRS

how to get through to the irs

My refund was accepted on February 4th, it is now March 10th and the status says my refund is still processing. I've tried to call the irs contact number many times. After finally navigating the menus to speak with an operator, each time my call is transferred the system says that they are too busy and hangs up on me.

TurboTax Tax Support

10:33 am PDT March 10, 2015

The IRS normally processes returns within 21 calendar days. If there is an issue, for example, offsets, your refund may be delayed. After that 21 day time frame, you can contact the IRS to have a representative check the status. During this time of year, they are extremely busy and it may be difficult to reach an operator. You can also go into a local "walk-in" office, but there will be long wait times there, as well:

According to the IRS website, :

"It's been longer than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I have not gotten my refund. Why?

We work hard to issue refunds as quickly as possible,

but some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

  • includes errors,
  • is incomplete,
  • needs further review,
  • is impacted by identity theft or fraud,
  • includes Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process.

If we need more information to process your tax return, we will contact you by mail.

IRS representatives can only research the status of your return if it’s been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than six weeks since you mailed your paper return, or if Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us. Our general telephone number is 1-800-829-1040. However, given our limited resources, our phone lines are going to be extremely busy this year – and there will frequently be extensive wait times."

If you had the Refund Processing Fees deducted, then you can get further information about your refund after it has been processed. You can contact SBTPG at:

You can contact your state department of revenue, if you need to check the status of that refund:

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: