Credit portal




How to Lodge a Late Tax Return

how to lodge a tax return

Posted by Tax Advisor on 29 May, 2013

Forgot about lodging a return? No problem. Lodge a return for any financial year from 2006-2007 through the present.

It’s all too easy to forget about lodging a tax return. Thankfully actually lodging one is even easier when you use E-Lodge.

If you still haven’t lodged a tax return from a prior year, it’s not too late. You can do it online right here on E-Lodge .

Figure out which years you have lodge

Unsure which financial years you lodged a tax return for and which ones you forgot? Don’t worry. Just contact the ATO by phoning 13 28 61 to find out how many outstanding returns you have.

How to lodge

Using a service like E-Lodge is by far the easiest way to go. But if you don’t, you will have to complete your return yourself using the old instructions and then lodge them with the ATO by mail.

You cannot use e-tax. the ATO’s software, to lodge a prior year return online. The ATO will not provide it to you and even if you have a copy of it from a prior year, you can only use it to prepare and not to lodge your return.

How to mail your return

If you

do decide to prepare your return on your own you will have to mail your return to the ATO. If possible, use the pre-addressed envelope included in the Individual tax return instructions. If not, mail your return to the following address:

Australian Taxation Office

GPO Box 9845


Note that due to a special arrangement between the ATO and Australia Post you do not need to replace the final line with the actual name of your capital city.


Because you are lodging late you may face a penalty. Generally, however, the ATO does not apply a penalty if your return

  • is lodged voluntarily, and
  • does not result in any tax payable

Beware, though, that the ATO will likely apply a penalty if

  • you have more than one outstanding return
  • you have a poor lodgment history, or
  • you have not complied with a request to lodge your return

Ready to lodge a late tax return? You can get started by creating an account right here on E-Lodge. You can lodge any return from 2006-2007 through the current financial year. To see what our current customers are saying about their experience with us, click HERE .

It’s Easier With E-Lodge™

Category: Taxes

Similar articles: