How to play poker tips
How to Play Poker – A Beginner’s Poker Guide
The rules of poker are actually quite simple, and it’s easy to get going and start playing. This guide will teach you to play poker in logical steps, going from the absolute basics of the game, to beginner poker skills and some more advanced plays you can use.
Once you have read the various articles in this guide & have played a lot of hands, move onto our intermediate & advanced poker strategy articles.
Now play a few hands at one of these poker rooms. either at very low stakes that you can afford to lose or using play money. Once you have a thorough understanding of how the game flows, you can move onto the level 1 poker strategy guides below.
Beginner Strategy – Level 1
- Starting hands – The ten best and worst starting hands in poker
- A beginner’s introduction to no-limit hold ’em strategy
- The importance of your position at the poker table – Why your position at the poker table, not just your cards, is very important, and how you should
adjust your game for your position.
- Counting outs and calculating pot odds – Calculating your pot odds and the chances of making your hand are vital skills, and this article gives you quick and easy tips on calculating them.
- An introduction to good bet sizing – How to size your bets when involved in a hand, to accomplish different things.
- Why playing aggressive poker is important – Why you need to take an aggressive poker style at the table, to be profitable.
- What is a 3-bet? – This article covers the 3-bet – what it is and what it shows
- Different types of poker bets – How to spot other players using them, and how to utilise them yourself
- Why every player should keep records of their play
- Going on tilt and how to avoid it – How to avoid becoming angry due to a hand going wrong, another player winding you up, losing a big pot or other factors which affect your mood.
- The biggest mistakes made by beginner poker players
- Top ten tips for beginner poker players